98 blazer. vehical has antifreez in engine. nor sure what damage its done. I've had it for few months noticed antifreeze was low i put srop leak in radiator, it worked till couple days ago .

5

Asked by Apr 17, 2013 at 05:44 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 2-Door 4WD

I was driving and it ran out power and stopped. checked Oil and it was milky. my gauges showed low oil pressure. Would that ruin engine or just head gasket need to be replaced . Had it towed home it still starts engine sounds ok. anyone have or had same problem

wait a minute a sense of twilight zone ensues...did you drain and fill with 50/50 coolant yet?

102,795

"checked Oil and it was milky. my gauges showed low oil pressure. Would that ruin engine." - Yes it would ruin a engine. First step is a compression check. Second step is to remove the heads and see how much damage has been done.

Best Answer Mark helpful
5

This is 98 blazer .this is first time using this site. Yes antifreeze was 50/50 . Hey ten speed I am going to do a wet and dry comp test . I only drove it for half hour before it died on me . I checked it before I drove it and every thing was fine . Oil was good , antifreeze was good , only driving it for half hour, would the engine need to be replaced. Is there another way to respond to answers?

102,795

One quick way to see if it's repair or replace is to dump the milky oil. Empty the filter too. Refill with that used oil that you didn't take to recycling yet. Start the engine and keep your eyes on the oil pressure gauge. If your pressure is up where it usually is, the rod and crankshaft bearings are good. If the pressure is low, don't bother with the head gaskets. Don't run it for long.

35,665

I have seen and repaired intake gaskets on my step moms 99 Jimmy 4.3L and my step moms sisters 01 blazer extreme 4.3L because they did the exact samething as the 3.1 and 3.4 GM intake gaskets the 3.8 engines do it to. The dexcool antifreeze eats the intake gaskets. The Jimmy was driven for three miles after all the coolant drained into the crankcase. There was oil/coolant coming out of the distributor it was so bad. Pulled the intake, distributor, valve covers, and drained the oil. Ran about 16 quarts of trans fluid through the system in 4qt stages while manually running the oil pump with a drill. After the 4th run and second oil filter the fluid running through the distributor hole looked pretty clean. Pulled the oil pan cleaned the block and pan, put the pan back on and ran 4 quarts of fresh oil with a third oil filter. Drained it,4.5 quarts of new oil and a new filter and it still holds 40psi of oil pressure to this day, 3500 rpm and oil hits almost 60 psi. It was babied all the way home in its condition... do as tenspeed said and check the pressure with actual oil first, thelow could very easily have been caused by the oil being thinned out by the coolant.