how can i fix my 4x4 on truck

40

Asked by Dec 24, 2012 at 01:08 PM about the 1991 Mazda B-Series Pickup 2 Dr B2600i 4WD Extended Cab SB

the 4x4 wont engage, its stuck up in the snow, the 4x4 lights come on , but the back wheels spin , so i know its not working, Any suggestions??

on most vehicles with auto locking hubs you need to get the front tires to rotate a little beforre the four wheel drive will engage.

40

thanks, unfourtunetly there are no locking hubs, it seems to be automatic....?thanks anyhow....is there some sort of electronic cylenoid?

395

I would check the fuses for the 4WD system first. If everything seems to be in order then it could be a vacuum hose on the autolocking hubs or they could be stripped out on the inside so they won't lock in. Best of luck! If you need more help it's essentially the same as a Ford Ranger so you may be able to find more information on here.

80

There is a solenoid (plunger) on the driver's side under the transmission and almost next to the exhaust pipe, which is activated by a small vacuum canister. The plunger is attached to the 4x4 on off mechanism, and sometimes it needs to be freed up and lubricated. Remove the cotter pin and operate it by hand after a few squirts of wd40, then put the cotter pin back and try operating it from the inside cab controls. If it doesn't switch into 4 wheel and out, you may need a friend to help watch if it's moving in and out. If not you'll need a replacement unit. You should scour the wrecking yards for a used unit, since the new part is pretty expensive.

60

I'm having same issue....I hear it engage into4x4 but only back tires spin

check your vacuum hoses going to your front axles