What does STOP oil pressure stop motor mean

Chrisand Edwards
625

Asked by May 17, 2013 at 06:23 PM about the 2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS

84,585

It means that you have no oil pressure. If you do not turn the motor off, you will be shopping for a new car. The engine replacement on a 2000 VW Passet would cost more than the car is worth.

Chrisand Edwards
625

how can it be fixed?

84,585

1. Make sure you have oil in the engine. 2. hook up a mechanical gauge to see if there is any oil pressure --- Were you just driving along when the warning lit? Was the engine quiet?

Chrisand Edwards
625

yeah the engine was quiet it now has a ticking noise but yeah was taken my son to school.

Chrisand Edwards
625

This is actually the 2nd engine. I was about 4 hours from home when the oil light came on and the engine made a loud noise like baseball cards in bike tires. We went to the junk yard and got another one and replaced the oilpan since the old one had metal fragments in it. The engine from the junkyard did good for about 3 weeks when the oil light came on and has a faint ticking noise. I refuse to drive it because the motors are so expensive.

190,055

Ticking noise is due to low oil. So the pressure guage is working correctly. So fill it up with oil and check for where the leak is. When you buy junkyard motors you never know how they were taken care.

Chrisand Edwards
625

The oil on the dipstick is where it needs to be. Do you think it could be the oil pump and would that help the ticking noise?

Brad Spear
325

The ticking noise you are hearing sounds like lifters. You have hydraulic lifters that use oil to keep up pressure to close the distance between the rocker arm and lifter. You probably have either a worn out oil pump or warn out bearings. I would hope for the oil pump.

Johnny_Montanez13
430

Hey so i just bought a 2002 vw passat and it keeps telling me STOP oil pressure stop motor. But i already change the oil like 3 times what could i do next? Please help me!

Brad Spear
325

Changing the oil will not make much of a difference, as you have discovered. You have either an issue with the sending unit, not very likely, or one with the internals of the engine, meaning the oil pump or bearings. Have these check out. You don't want to fry an engine due to low oil pressure.

sebastian_d
35

my 2001 vw passat has a faint ticking and says stop brake fault but my breaks work fine

Les Lee Hernandez
90

my 2002 vw passat used to say that about my break but my breaks seemed fine until i went to go get them changed they really werent go get them changed before your car starts making horrible noises, also my vw is also making a grinding noise in the morning but only when warming it up after that its fine and then when i make sharp turns or usually also just in the morning it has a knocking sound and just the other day the stop oil pressure turn off motor also came on i turned the car off then back on and it hasnt done it since.

Clwinters1
90

My lights go crazy!!! tells me to do shit all the time.... Not making noise but now this stop thing keeps coming up... never owned a Passet before or any other foreign car... how do I even check the oil?

Clwinters1
90

Mine has always said shit and never meant anything...

Periquito PinPin
50

That's a big problem with Passat.

eptreehouse
260

My oil pressure light came on last night - it's about 0 degrees outside both last night and today. It's parked outside too. I have plenty of oil - could it be a dummy light? I've had to replace a wiring harness in it a couple of months ago and the electrical stuff seems to go haywire frequently. It's a 2006 Jetta 2.5 Should I be worried?

Edward Hatfield
200

Hi I've got a 2002 passat 2.0 se was driving along and oil light came on then flashed saying check oil level so I've topped it up with oil to the top and the lights still on saying its low any ideas ?

Bam Owe
150

So I filed my car with oil because it showed on the dip stick it was low I added oil and this light telling me to stop motor popped up is it possible iadded to much now it's a knocking noise wtf do I do? ??

Scarfacebenny
70

if there is to much oil in it will it make the oil pressure light come on...

Get rid of the Passat before you loose you mind and all your money.

gleng1malibu
155

VW DESIGN FLAW with the openings where the oil passes between two parts of the engine, the openings are not aligned properly! Therefore the engine is always operating under a restricted flow of oil. http://www.carcomplaints.com/Volkswagen/Passat/2004/engine/oil_pressure_light_came_onengine_seized.shtml

Margarita Febres
100

I have a volkswagon cc 2010 it says after like 10 minute driving oil pressure engine off how I can fix that I took the car to the volkswagon dealership and they say it was a oil leak after the oil leak was fixed still was saying oil pressure engine off, i took the car back to the dealer and now they say the i have to change the motor what I can do.

Don't put a new engine in. The car is not worth it. VW that is out of warranty should not be owned. They are the worst car to own. Donate the car to charity or trade it in for the peace of mind. Buy a Honda or Toyota.

Margarita Febres
100

I'm still making payments on it

Joe Carpentier
0

Try to trade it in for a different car. The important thing is to get out of it as it will drain your pockets with repeated repairs. You may have to roll negative equity but we'll worth it. Again, buy a Honda Accord or Toyota camry.

gleng1malibu
155

SEE MY PREVIOUS COMMENT ABOUT "STOP MOTOR, oil pressure light" THE VW 1.8 liter turbo engines HAVE A MAJOR DESIGN FLAW IN IT. DRIVING WITH THIS LIGHT WILL SEIZE THE ENGINE.

VWgolfproblems
50

Hi, I have a similiar low oil pressure problem on my 2010 VW Golf 1.6TDI Can you advise on a resolution as a new oil pump, has not sorted it and there is no other visable issues. Where exactly is the problem ??? All suggestions welcome. Tks

Joe Carpentier
0

Any uropean car out of warranty is a car soon to be out of commision. Especially VW Passat. Get rid of it. Take your loses and move on to a Honda or Toyota. I am on my third camry with 300,000 + and still running like new. I would still drive this car cross country in confidence.

Tony Dean
70

I just bought a 2001 Passat GLS Wagon 2.8 V6. 300 miles into ownership,STOP MOTOR-OIL PRESS. Light came on.Checked level and was over-full.Had the oil changed and still same lights coming on.It goes off at idle,then back on.Had no choice but to drive to work rest of the week(100+miles)and engine still runs and sounds great.Could it be a faulty sending unit or what?

Amuzu Bami
30

I need deep engineering knowledge to solve my VW passat oil problem, as the engine heat up, the oil indicator shows up prompting me STOP engine motor oil press, i have changed the oil several times, i am unable to travel with it , i fear the engine will break down, i need help

Stanley Simeon
0

I changed my oil switch because it was leaking, but since then this stop oil check sign keeps poping up on my dash board as I drive. Please advise on how it can be corrected.

Yahya Shabbar
10

I had the same problem as everyone else. Oil pressure light came on so I changed the oil and the filter. Then it comes on a couple of months later but this time it only turns on when I get off the highway and drive around 35. I assumingly thought it was the sensor. Then I'm about a mile away from home and the car starts making a noise like a card hitting a bicycle wheel. I had to get the oil pick up tube and oil pump change. So far this car has cost me a grand. Now I'm driving it 2 days later and the light comes on again. Adding to it, my turbo is whining at 3 thousand rpm and when I'm at a stop light I smell something burning. Plus my fuel gauge dropped a quarter after driving 50 miles. I'm done with VW, it's now time to sell this junk. If you're looking to buy a car, don't pick this one.

Joe Carpentier
0

The light is telling you to get rid of the car. I dumped thousands and more into this car and still had issues. I was lucky to Find a guy who understood that he was buying a manual transmit ion with a pile of shitty German engineering around it. Get out while you can. Trade it In and get a Toyota or Honda.

Thaddeus Cromwell IV
0

I'm having a problem with my 2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T. I was at the gas station a couple of weeks ago and when I went outside to drive off, my car was off. I checked the dipstick and it was bone dry because of no oil. Do you think this is the reason why it isn't starting?