is changing the clutch in a 95 vr6 passat difficult?how would i go about doing this the RIGHT way?

15

Asked by May 04, 2013 at 02:38 AM about the 1995 Volkswagen Passat 4 Dr GLX V6 Sedan

I bought this car late last year and got it for a steal!(972$).the girl who owned it before me didnt know what was wrong with it,so she sold it really cheap.All I had to do was replace the water pump and it was good to go.next issue was the stereo(aftermarket) wich cut out and made weird noises when you turned it up to listening level. I looked further inside the dash to find a nightmare of electrical taped wires, cut up original wires, and also,sometime in this cars life,some moron decided to wire the stereos power source to the rear window switch.absolutley ridiculous.so I ripped the stereo out to keep it from uselessly drawing power when the car was off. next issue is the clutch.i asked the girl when was the last time it was replaced and she had no idea.so I assume the clutch is stock from 161000 miles ago. I got the car running and burned up the old clutch, within a few months,being as my right foot weighs a bit much sometimes...anyways, my point is that im about to start a huge project with this clutch job, and as easy as my little Hondas clutch was to do, im pretty sure this is gonna suck. Does anyone have ANY INFO on this at all?i have only basic tools,no engine hoist,limited funds, and only some jack stands and some common sense. HELPP!?

It's not easy, you'll need to be able to drop the transmission, if a rwd the u-joints and for a car like this would go to u-pull and pull stuff you can replace from a junker, machining the flywheel and checkin' the hydraulics be damned, slap it up and good to go~

as far as the wiring...again take complete harnesses from your donor vehicle...and replace them..will take time but if you want stuff to work properly you must do this~

15

Thanks, good idea.not many donor cars in CO, they all want to sell them.hopefully I get lucky and find one.I also wanna swap the interior for the black leather one,should look better than tan.I need to replace the sunroof too because the parts all broke inside and were made of stupid plastic to begin with..hopefully that won't be too bad either.

hopefully you will not have to go out of state...perhaps car-part.com, the network of salvagers will be able to help you~

put you boots on, glasses on and go hunting in the U-Pull or Pick-a-Part, or whatever your local salvaging wholesaler will let you trounce thru (signing off your rights on a special pad first)...always like to bring my camera to take pictures of the things that once were and shall never be again~

Best Answer