im having problems starting my 99 jetta for the past to days

Asked by Feb 22, 2011 at 01:20 PM about the 1999 Volkswagen Jetta New GL

it seems like its getting gas but no spark at all and it starts right up out of nowhere after i let it sit for a least 15 mins and it runs just fine until today when it just went off while driving, could it be the alarm system or the kill switch, bcuz it cranks but wont run.

I see no body answered you. Did you get it fixed? The reason I am asking is because we are experiencing the same problem. Can you email me and let me know what if anything you found out? We have spend so much money and it is still doing it. dnsingbare@hotmail.com Thanks, Michael

25

we have 2000 vr6 same issues no spark but move shift lever ( auto) and seems to respond .. think its the solenoid or netral switch one is $150 the $18 ..thinking of replacing both

10

I had the same problem with my 2003 volkswagen jetta, I had to get the mass air flow censor and a map censor replaced. I had to take my car to a mechanic who specialized in volkswagens. Very costly, I must say volkswagen are very expensive to get fixed. But, my car is running real good.

125

The most common reason that i have seen why it will only start intermittently is the coil. The coil will also cause it to shut off while you are driving. You can take the coil down to the auto parts store and have it tested for free.

2,925

Depends on the engine you have, it has coil pack or coil on plug. i dont think is the coil. most certainly is the crankshaft sensor! it is best that you read the codes.

2,575

It almost sounds like you are having an issue with the power supply relay,this is the relay that energizes the fuel pump and also powers up the ignition system,easiest way to check this is to gain acsess to the fuel pump, under the rear seat you will see a black cover with three phillps head screws,on the plug at the fuel pump assembly is a green wire with a yellow tracer,this is the fuel pumps power lead,unplug it and carefully get a volt meter on that wire you should have full battery voltage while cranking,if not then the relay or possibly a wiring issue are your problem.If it is the relay it is under the dash on the auxiliary relay panel,there is also the possibility of a faulty ignition switch as well,all are fairly common problems with these cars.Good luck with it

Spent 1000.00 getting new computer that mechanic said got moisture in it from setting out in rain. True or not since then if it rains on it is hard to crank. In dry situations it usally cranks.