car does'nt move in any gear also park,like there is no transmission

Asked by Jul 21, 2013 at 04:31 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr LS Sedan

replaced the passenger side driveshaft and lower balljoint,followed directions and everything fit good and the shaft going into the transmission with the clip on it seated properly but the transmission seems to do nothing to drive the car forward or reverse or even park(I used the parking brake to keep the car from rolling down the driveway.
QUESTION IS: What damage may have occurred when the shaft got ripped from the velocity joint that goes into the transmission???

So I take it, that you had this problem before you replace the driveshaft because it was ripped off the car?

The car worked as it should right before the balljoint failed and the whole assembly came off with only the tie rod steering end attached,this happened less than 5 mph while turning a corner .When the tire assembly unhooked from the lower ball joint the constant velocity joint tore apart where it goes into the transmission.thats why I'm wondering if more damage may have been done when the shaft assembly got yanked out.

OK, that clears it up. Without being able to look at it, I would say you might have some internal gearing damage. Any cracking on the case, anything else unhooked or damaged? Best to have a mechanic or trans shop diagnose the issue, and it sounds like you exhausted your expertise, and mine. Sorry I couldn't help further, maybe another Guru can step in?

thanks ,there's no case damage or transmission leakage,it's at the proper mark on the dip stick.the shaft clip came out when I replaced the shaft assembly as per the directions from the new assembly.everything went back together good but the transmission dos'nt turn the front wheels at all in any gear or park.

I had this happen to me once, everything looked right but the driveaxle wasn't fully locked in place inside the tranny turned out to be the wrong axle, the shaftgoing into the tranny was a 1/2inch short so double check.

James Ramond

10/4 tennisshoes, left and right sometime is different lengths , right side is as sitting in drivers seat as common description to order parts!

HEY BUDDY!!! I had the same same exact thing happen to me got off the freeway after driving 70 and the with five people in the care as a slowly turned into the parking lot that happend. well I knew something wasnt right and told all them to get out the car so i could turn around in the parking lot as i slpwly turned there went the wheel and then I saw the real problem the ball joint popped right out of the knuckle!!! shity. So I have ahd this car for 10 plus years and my dad had it for 5-7 before its a 20 year old car and i have maintained it. I have a chiltons manual which gives pretty decent advice but its more meant for a service guy not a doit yourself but it really does help. anyways... as the tow truck lowereed my car off of the truck at my house i saw the driver side wheel moveing with the car in park!!!! I thought oh shit that means somethings fucked. After reading my manual and whatnot now im hoping for the best. The halfshalt is that part that feel out with all the grease coming out and it has a tri-pot assembley closest to the transmission. now all the chi8ltons said was be carefull not to overextend that half shalft which i might have done. If that did happen to you double check and also find some specs on how much grease should be in that halfshaft connection. I am still in the process of getting the old ball joint out drilling rivits and then getting the new ball joint once i have that all done hopefully soon then ill hope that i cann get the halfshaft back in and not have the same problem that you have so let me know what happens with you and keep in touch cuz me and you ahve the same exact problems im not sure if it really matters what side this happens on mine was the passenger and i thiknk yours was the driver the ball joint is the same but not sure about the assembly to the transsmission.My name is Justin heres my email if you wanna keep in touch maybe send some photos and update each other on progress. OH and dont feel soo bad cuz after this if it works I have the fun task of replacing my gas tank cuz if i put any more than a half a tank it leaks a bit. I mean shit the car Is 20 years old and the way i figure I can spend a lot less money if i just replace all i can and maintain the car raher then try to find a unknown car with who knows what wrong for a couple thousand and then still have to work on the next thing that brakes on that lol thats the car game man. Some people get sooo ssoooo lucky and drive around on spares and crashed up cars and dont maintain their cars at alll and have the best of luck but me who tries soo soo hard to do the best and right thing just keeps getting screwed, Well your post isnt screwing me I got lucky to find this site and your post so please man lets try to help each other out K?? K? Heres my Email hit me up so I have yours and we can help each other out k man Hope I could help!!! LAter PEace out!!!!

oh An sorry bout the long ass post i get outta control sometimes lol. One more thing From the little that I understand about transmissions and thats minimal i almost makes sense to me that without both halfshafts hooked up properly one rotates one way i think and the other another way. so they must work together somehow. so some research yourself . And dont take anyones for sure ive been working 30 years on stuff attitude when they tell you OH mAn your fucked you gotta replace the whole thing shit obviously if me and you had the money for that we wouldnt be driving a 20+ year old car right right hit me up LATER and good luck to us both oh and ? for you when you put that cv boot back in where the tri-pot goes did you have to add more grease to it????

Hey me again I was reading some other stuff about mine which I'm still trying to get fixed!! Lol but anyways my situation only the CV boot on the half shaft came off closest to the engine not like yours where the one closest to the wheel assembly is still connected on mine. If I was you I would remove the hub and brake calipers and replace the entire halfshaft . I know u said u were only going like 5 mph and I was going like 2 mph so if nothing is leaking in your tranny like the guy above said u just have to replace the whole thing I would look online at like A1 auto or others for the best price I paid $45 for a new control arm because my old ball joint would not come out at all even with heat and tools. So that right there means I saved half of what it would have cost to pay some shop to do it plus the towing so.... Most of the time we learn things the hard way ull get it done. I just hope mine doesn't do the same as urs then I'll be really really upset lol good luck broth a!!!!