I have a '99 Chevy Lumina LTZ, and for the first couple of years that I had it it would never really heat up until the past two years, when I noticed the temperature gauge actually moving. Anyway, when it heats up(needle in the center or right in the gauge), my car shakes and it shifts really hard. Any ideas? It has 172,xxx on it, and I'd like to get another year or so out of it without replacing anything major.

Asked by May 24, 2013 at 09:09 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr LTZ Sedan

I have a '99 Chevy Lumina LTZ, when it heats up(needle in the center or right in the
gauge), my car shakes and it shifts really hard.  Any ideas?  It has 172,xxx on it, and
I'd like to get another year or so out of it without replacing anything major.  I have
usually been running the heat on full blast to take heat off of the engine, and that works
so that it doesn't get to the point of shaking, but in the 100 degree days to come, I'm
really hoping that I won't have to do that.

269,735

So are you saying your car is overheating? Should be a simple fix , it's probably a stuck thermostat low coolant or clogged radiator. Have it inspected by your local garage so you can continue to drive it for a couple more years.

35,935

Check engine light on?