1993 cabriolet when the engine gets hot the fan won't turn on and it seriously hesitates and gets loud

Asked by Jun 22, 2013 at 09:59 AM about the 1993 Volkswagen Cabriolet Classic

My 1993 cabby with 62K miles just started to have serious engine problems. After running for awhile it seriously hesitates and gets very loud. I have changed all of the plugs, wires, cleaned the oil, put in new fuel and stabalizer and then recently a new computer. and when it does this the car seems to be "dumping" fuel - the gauge goes down as if it used 1/4 tank for 15 miles. What am I missing?

42,815

At night take a spray bottle of water and spray it on the distributor cap and your coil. If you see blue sparks and the car begins to run horribly you will know the problem. The dumping of fuel part is a good one. It's fuel injected, so I can't for the life of me figure out where the fuel could be going. Your post is quite old.......have you figured it out yet?

42,815

Is your fan frozen? Take your finger and give the fan blades a spin. If they don't spin nice and easy or not at all, your fan is shot. If it spins nice and easy, then there must be a temp relay which activates your fan. Not sure on your model. I have a '92 Cabrio and the fan motor is starting to go. It rattles the engine and shakes quite bad. Not to mention it makes a ton of noise.

42,815

Did you ever figure out your problem?