i cannot get my power windows to go down,

Asked by Jun 17, 2008 at 07:50 AM about the 1992 Volkswagen Cabriolet Carat

I cannot get both the driver side and passenger side power windows to work.  the motors work and the switches work but there must be a relay somewhere that is broken but i cannot find it anywhere and the dealer does not even know.

bad switch,no relay,check fuse

20

Either it is a fuse or it is a bad ground

65

Ive got one and my windows work most of the time but do play up ie wont go up or down on occation, I would have thought it would be a sticking relay on mine,yours could be the same or not,check the feeds and earths if they are ok and the motor defently isnt shot then the relay could be at fault,relays and fuses are on the left hand side near the bonnet pull,I wouldn't have thought both window motors would have packed up at once thou,bit too much of a coincidence..good luck

35

Something is preventing power from getting to the window motors before the switches, obviously. Mine had 2 "Power Window Control Modules" go bad. It's located underneath the passenger side of the dash board, up where the glovebox is. If you have a problem with water leaking into the car from under the dash it drips right on the control module and ruins it. Check inside your rain tray on the passenger side of the car. There's a drain that gets plugged up and water fills up inside there and runs in through the air conditioning/defroster intake. Like someone else said check fuses and everything. I suggest unplugging the window motors and operating the switch while a test light is hooked up to the power window connector (where it gets power from). If you operate the switch and the test light works then it's getting power.

50

Hi Chris I have this exact problem. We found it yesterday when the car continued to die even after new battery (twice) new alternator and other minor things. It would just die sitting overnite. Finally yesterday we heard something running in that area and located this contol unit. It was full of water and continuiouly running putting a drain on the battery. Also windows stopped working about 3 months ago so both issued solved. The problem however is where can I get this replacement part and what if anything can be done to better prevent water from getting in the car. Thanks for any help.