My 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S, manual trans would not restart after driving and then started dying while driving or idling.

10

Asked by Aug 01, 2012 at 05:41 PM about the 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S Hatchback

About 3 weeks after replacing the alternator, my car would not start after being driven until it sat for 30 mins to an hour. At first the problem was intermittent and quickly became an every time thing. It would crank (sounded like a sewing machine) but not catch. It seemed like it wasn't getting spark somewhere. Then, it died at a stoplight with the same results -- had to sit for a while. That progressed to the car dying every 4 to 5 blocks. I had a mechanic trying to diagnose the problem and he said the "ignition module" (aka "igniter") and that this is an expensive  part.  Any way to confirm that is this part before I purchase it? Single mother on limited income right now but I do need my car. Any information is greatly appreciated.

2,445

Those sound like symptoms of a faulty ignition module and those are around $350.00 so here is what I suggest. Find someone you know who can remove it for you and take it to the local parts house and have it tested, they might do it for free if your's fails the test and you buy the replacement from them. If it passes the first time tell them to test it 3 or 4 times because the one test might not heat it up to the point of failure. Usually the third time will tell you if it's any good or not.

10

Thank you dynasg2009. My car is not starting at all and I have no way to get around. I do not have $350.00 for this part. I desperately need my car. Have to take the bus to the junkyard and see if I can find one there. I know this is risky but it's all I can do right now. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

2,445

Find out if your parts house is able to test it for you and if so maybe you can remove it or find someone to help you. At least this way you will verify the part as good or not. This would save you time and money if it were something else. Worth a try. Good luck

Best Answer