I have a 1985 Celica GT-S convertible. It has power locks that started locking themselves about three weeks ago. After I got out of the car I would come back and the car would be locked. While driving they will auto lock. There is no remote used on the key chain. Coincidently my altenator failed this week. I had it replaced but my locks are still possessed. Do not want them to kill new altenator. Is there a fuse I can pull to disable the power locks as I don't use them anyway?

Asked by Dec 08, 2014 at 04:15 PM about the 1985 Toyota Celica GT-S Convertible

The car is very old but still very reliable.  Don't want to mess around with a whole new
electrical system.  Driver window has not operated in several years and the motor for the
top failed sometime ago as well.  Power windows, cruise, mirrors, stereo and antenna all
working.  Options please??.

Trade 'er in on a new ride, Clyde!! Treat yourself to a new car this Holiday Season!! Woot Woot! Hollar Back!!

39,805

I had the old silver '85 Celica hard top. The same thing happened to me, except the locks wouldn't work at all. All I did was to cut the wires from the original lock switch and rewired it to a push button. I had to hide the button in a secret spot on the outside of the car, but I had locking doors.

Thanks. I think it's the after market security system. Place to start anyways.

135

It sounds like the door lock relay is getting a ground from bsome where. how do the switches feel? loose worn out? switch could be defective broken or defective contacts or spring in the switch. does it happen after you have driven over a bump or rough road? you can disconnect the master switch on the drivers side to stop it from happening also to trouble shoot the problem. if you pull the fuse it will effect other circuits. if the switch is not the problem I would move to the relay and when control module.