Does anyone know what the torque settings are for the water pump bolts on a 1985 Celica GT? Also, should a sealant be used on the new water pump gasket when reinstalling? Thanks.

Asked by Jan 29, 2013 at 05:51 PM about the 1985 Toyota Celica GT Hatchback

There are 2 different bolts. The torque on the bolt with the 10mm head is 12ft/lbs and the longer 12mm bolts 14ft/lbs and yep, silicone specific for that, usually there is a little tube of it when you buy the pump and gasket. Years ago they did anyway, sheesh for all I know nowdays they probably even make you buy the gasket separately

Thanks David for the torque specs! As far as the gasket sealant, I was a little confused on this. The shop manual doesn't mention to use it nor does the parts guy when I asked if a sealant should be used upon installation. Sounds like to be on the safe side, coat a little sealant on the gasket when installing the new water pump.

Put it on both sides of the gasket and on the pump and on the engine...yep, all four surfaces, very very thin will do. Parts guys don't like me because I always am saying half of them don't know diddly squat, and that is being generous with them. To be sure, some do, But they are the minority