SRS relay in an 1996 SL?

465

Asked by Dec 07, 2014 at 12:42 PM about the 1996 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL 320

does anyone know the where the SRS relay is located? maybe in the fusebox? part number?

9,420

I hope someone can just tell you that exactly, but on my benz, I get answers from benzworld and peachparts. If I am the only person ever to ask something, I get my number from the catalog thru the mercedes benz of so. atlanta website, and go according to that number, search for the part to get a pic, then find it on the benz. This actually saves a few days. Benz parts wholesale has a wealth of information too, if you call them.

465

thank you Danny, the light just came on but the car runs normal, the mechanic claims maybe water under the carpet passenger side. Will the car run without the SRS relay?

9,420

Every srs I have worked on lights a light to prove out the bulb, if it comes on and stays, the system shuts out but the car can be driven in for repair diagnosis. Why, are you experiencing something that can be more fully described?

9,420

Are you saying your mechanic is telling you the water is leaking into the floor and affecting the system? He needs to tell you what code the srs is setting and address the pinpoint test, I would imagine. If there are components in water, it stands to reason the components need to be removed and dried. The cause of water present has to be found, and corrected. but I am sure that is obvious to you and him/her.

9,420

If the components are damaged , that may also indicate they wont pass after drying, so you need to find out what is immersed in water besides the carpet. The code for the srs, and see where it leads. there are so many models and changes by benz so often, you need real honest help. Sometimes I find other owners have the books on disc and the time to look things up, I give them my identifying numbers and the answers can be vastly different then. My i.d. #'s have taught me my car was destined for Japan but turned graymarket and was sold in a small group in the u.s. with this method.

465

I know for certain that this SL was destined for the USA also I discovered that all the SLs headed for north America are made for the USA, that's why the day-driving light relays for Canada are stuck with dumdum behind SRS on the passenger side and not bolted into place to the body as Benz would have done. Yes, even Benz (locals) do some strange things! I contacted Benz for the electrical schematics but was told that it is for service use only! should I rely on alternative sources? thanks

9,420

They publish the data on disc giving all the different books you need and dont need for that model over a year range to my knowledge. Asking on benzworld forum and providing chassis numbers etc, can get someone who has that info to bite. Also, on peachparts forum some very knowledgeable folks read it everyday and can answer from the knowledge accrued over time. They dont give you a bum steer, I have seen them get pics of their like vehicle and offer the pic of the location for people. The "what part is this" thread does that all day.

465

thank you Dannyl, I have used the sight before I will try again

9,420

An SL is a very nice expensive 2 seater race car type with a huge star, right? Those are sought after and sorely missed when they go to pot under a tree. Where I live you see one like that about every 10 miles in the city. They keep them but cant afford to diagnose and fix them. Their diagnoses are always the most expensive thing on the car like they are trying to get you to give it up to them. Like telling you it needs a brain transplant instead of they sneaked in your garage last night and put a funny chip in there that makes it only run topless.

465

absolutely right Dannyl, this one is my second SL both r129 chassis both new and yes, very few know how to baby this model, very few know the hydraulics, electrical and the mechanics, once at the dealer for a complete the car can be parked there for days until the proper technicians find time in their busy schedule, by the time the car is ready @115$/hr it will set you back a grand or more...

9,420

A thing of beauty is a job for life. I say, find those tech discs or manuals Theres Betterworld Books to start searching, and you can request the Benz Bible and Haynes books at the library. The Mercedes benz Companion, except the years it covers is required to save time reordering. I must have read seven types before I learned it required a U.K. version for my particular car. But no money spent is a good financial position before you learn what you might have to buy. Star Tek info is a hard read, but is precise. That can be free if you ask relentlessly, someone will give you a path. And some manuals have been seen in peachparts where owners trade with one another. Happy looking.