2000 Mercedes ML430

Asked by Feb 26, 2008 at 10:07 PM about the 2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML 430

I am planning to buy used Mercedes ML430 year 2000 and has 120000 kilometers on it. I have few questions regarding that and would really appreciate if someone could help.
First question is what would be gas milage of this vehicle and what would be the milage of same year and same milage for ML320. I don't know if there's any sigifician difference. Mercedes says for ML430 you can get 100kms for 12 liters of gas and for ML320 you can get 100kms for 9.5 liters of gas. I understand this mileage would be under perfect driving condition but wonder how much you get on real road.
Second question is that someone told me to do certain test to check transmission of the vehicle. It goes like this, take the vehicle uphill (facing uphill) and bring it to complete stop. Then put it in drive and take foot off the gas pedal. Now in this case the vehicle should stand still there or move forward but in no case it should role back. Then you do the same thing by moving vehicle facing downhill and put it in reverse gear. It should stand still or move back but in no case should move forward.
I want to know is this fare test to check the transmission and engine.
Third question is was there any big manufactuere's issue regarding 2000 year model vehichle.
Your input on any other important consideration I should be giving while buying used vehicle would be really appreciated

Thanks for your reply in advance

Mileage: I can only quote what the manufacturer says are the ratings for the vehicle. You would be best served to find an individual online that owns that same vehicle to get actual numbers. Transmission: I would not try this on a very steep incline in case you loose control with another persons vehicle and then are held responsible for the damages to his car and possibly others. Furthermore, I've heard of people trying this type of test, but have never tried it myself. Model Year Issues: I'm not aware of any specific model year issues with the 2000 Mercedes-Benz ML-430, but I would look try to find recall information for this year/make/model online. This should give you some good information about what type of vehicle you're interested in purchasing.