2000 ML430

Asked by Feb 26, 2008 at 10:08 PM about the 2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML 430

Hi,
I am planning to buy used Mercedes ML430 year 2000 and has 120000 kilometers on it. I have few questions regarding that and would really appreciate if someone could help.
First question is what would be gas milage of this vehicle and what would be the milage of same year and same milage for ML320. I don't know if there's any sigifician difference. Mercedes says for ML430 you can get 100kms for 12 liters of gas and for ML320 you can get 100kms for 9.5 liters of gas. I understand this mileage would be under perfect driving condition but wonder how much you get on real road.
Second question is that someone told me to do certain test to check transmission of the vehicle. It goes like this, take the vehicle uphill (facing uphill) and bring it to complete stop. Then put it in drive and take foot off the gas pedal. Now in this case the vehicle should stand still there or move forward but in no case it should role back. Then you do the same thing by moving vehicle facing downhill and put it in reverse gear. It should stand still or move back but in no case should move forward.
I want to know is this fare test to check the transmission and engine.
Third question is was there any big manufactuere's issue regarding 2000 year model vehichle.
Your input on any other important consideration I should be giving while buying used vehicle would be really appreciated

Thanks for your reply in advance

15,015

See previous post.

20

I just bought an ML430 year 2000. The way you are trying to test the transmission of the vehicle is not fair and it could make you think that there might be smth wrong with the vehicle b/c even new cars car roll back if stoped and then put into drive on an uphill, that has nothing to do with the transmission or its effectivness. All automatic cars are made to slighly move forward when they are put into drive but with the gas pedal left free. However, on an uphill the weight of the vehicle can offset the drive of the trany when you are not giving it any gas and the vehicle could go backwards. As far as gas consumption goes, there is little to none difference between 320 and 430, which makes buying the 430 worthwhile since you get more power and bigger engine. Mercedes cars in general have an intense maintenance schedule due to having so many sensors and features. Most common for both 430 and 320 is the baby smart seat recognition sensor on the passenger seat. It goes bad in all of the vehicles and when someone seats on the passengers seat the system thinks that you have attached a baby seat and it disengages the passenger airbag since it is proven that the airbag damages the baby more than protects the child.

20

Hello, -I own a 2000 Mercedes ML430 -129,000 miles -great on gas -no major malfunctions(The drivers seat door doesnt automatically lock. Need to do it manually.) -Transmission of the vehicle is fine. -Black exterior, Black leather interior -Clean,great condition inside and out -$8,500

answer to ? #2 any vehicle can do that on a slight incline or decline, but not on a hill. i use to piss people off at trafic lights doing that.

I own both 2000 320 and 430 ML. The 430 will cost more for a reason. It is a better automobile. The engine is stronger and I don't think they had any options on it like the 320 because it came with everything to begin with. The gas mileage is about 3-5 MPG difference. Both are great choices though so if you get a great deal on a 430 go for it, if you go with the 320 just make sure it has the options you want because I have seen some pretty barebones ones out there.