Please help Gages went out.

Asked by Apr 06, 2011 at 09:58 PM about the 1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C 220

Hi I just bought a 1996 mercedes c220 and I put gas in it today and the speedometer,
rpm, gas gage and the temp gage went out the needles are not moving. IN NEED OF
HELP...Car didn't come with manual..

75

Hi Tanya>I doubt if putting gas in your car had anything to do with the gauges not working. I think it just happened the same day. I can't see any connection there. Usually, when ALL of something like gauges stop working in any car, it's not possible that they would all fail simultaneously unless there was a defective module controlling them or a FUSE that protected them that blew. If possible, check or have somebody check these things (fuses should be in a little black box either inside the car or under the hood or both) by pulling them out and looking at them. I think that's where the problem lies. Hope this helps somehow. Most auto parts stores have people that will come out to your car and help you look for these things because they want to sell you parts. I know Checker, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc. do.

check gage fuse,if not blown the cluster has failed.

5,035

Check the fuse box in the engine compartment on the drivers side at the base of the windshield, you may have blow a fuse for the instrument cluster.

is that what i said.

20

There should be a recall due these exact failures on multiple forums I have checked. I've cleaned the needles and have checked the fuses still no gauges. Many of the fix it links have been disabled. I sure Mercedes Benz dealers and mechanics do not want you to fix the problem when they can fix it for so much more money.