s10 v6 cranking, firing and has spark but will not start? what could it be

Asked by Jul 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM about the 2002 Chevrolet S-10 2 Dr LS Standard Cab LB

s10 v6 cranking, firing and has spark, also hear fuel pump at gas tank but will not start what could it be?

155

IF it cranks Like a Bear, and your getting spark! "Pull plug wire off,put screw driver thru plug ring,have someone cranck it over while touching the block,or a bracket, and should see spark" If you see spark, My un- Educated guess would be Timing Belt or chain, Good Luck,

65,935

Run a compression test. If all cylinders are low your timing chain has jumped or is broken. HTH. -Jim

18,225

fuel pressure test. 4.3 vortec is know for failed pressure reg and fuel pumps. Should be between 55 and 65

100

Could be a bad distributor cap from moisture (if it is the flat type). My Blazer had fuel and spark but would not start. It was cranking very weird. What I mean was it would crank for three seconds then all the lights would go dead like the motor was locking up then it would crank for another three seconds. I poured gas into the intake, no help. I then pulled #1 spark plug and cranked it and it was getting spark? Weird, so I thought I had a major timing issue. My buddy recommend changing the cap as the 4.3, 5.7 Vortecs with the flat type caps are notorious for building up moisture in the cap. Changed the cap and wholla... fired right up. Also got a bonus by the check engine light that I has for years was extunguished... crazy but very happy!

35

I agree. sounds like a timing issue,

170

1996 Chevy s10 will not start

360

4.3 have spark fuel pressure but not starting

230

Hello guys. I have problems with my 1994 Chevy s10 blazer. when I put the key in and turn it will NOT start right up. it will crank but not start. what can the issue be

10

when it doesn't start, you need to test fuel injectors for 12 volts and a pulse

45

What about the ECM module. They fail often in Chevy's and it is that module that sends the signal to the fuel injectors to tell them to fire. This may be the case particularly if the spark plugs are bone dry after several unsuccessful attempts to start the engine.

70

I have a 1996 cheb s10 4.3L v6 vortex, I change spark, wires,distributor, rotor button, fuel filter, crank sensor, cam sensor, when I tried to drive it. It would sputter and it will not accelerate, just more sputtering.

20

I'm by no means an expert but Sounds like fuel pump to me.. The same thing happen to me in my van and I changed the fuel pump and it fixed it..

Yeah I had a Blazer that did that, changed O2 sensor, fuel pump, sensor, and filter.It would drive ok for awhile then just spudder, Made it all the way from KY to MIch. one time and it broke down on the way back. Well ended up being a cracked injector and cost me $600,00. I hope it's something more simple for you.

20

On my S-10 I replaced ignition module, coil,cam sensor, crank sensor without success in starting engine, I then replaced cap & rotor button that looked good, my engine started like new, verify that distributor cap is tightly mounted as some new caps come with screws that are to long & though they are tight, cap is not tightly mounted.

80

I have a 2000 S10 that will not start change the fuel pump it will not start but fires the gas is not coming out of the line it don't go through the filter and we bought a new one and still have the same problem what can be wrong

30

Just did head gaskets got it all back together. timings and fuel are good.still not starting..anyone with any ideas thanks

40

I have a 01 S10 pickup 4.3 it's wanting to start but it isn't I check the fuel pump that's working I check the fuel pressure that's working fuel filter changed I'm wondering if it's the timing or something I don't know but I can't figure it out but I have any answers

40

I have a 01 S10 pickup fuel pump has been checked fuel filters been changed it wants to start but it isn't comments answers for me thank you

Sounds like the ignition control module under the distributor. It commands the fuel injectors to fire.