97 S10,New fuel pump making sound but no fuel pressure.

40

Asked by Dec 21, 2013 at 08:11 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet S-10 2 Dr LS Extended Cab SB

replaced fuel pump, filter and relays after replacing truck ran great for 2 days and drove
around but never went faster than about 40mph. Next day I hit the freeway and about
55mph and fuel pressure cut out hard again... like the pump went out. Got it home and
checked relays, and fuel pump connection all tested positive for the 12v and 5v feeds
needed, I can also hear the pump turning on too prime but I aslo here gas drizzling
back into the fuel tank? Did I loose  a inner hose on the new fuel pump? Basicly Im
getting power too pump and getting 0 pressure at shcrader valve. Maybe filter got
clogged even though its New?

40

Just too add too this, I pulled fuel filter off and blew through it totaly clear, then I blew with my mouth into the fuel line from filter connection, I get decent air pressure but can hear air leaking as I blow more pressure in, Now Im not sure but Shouldnt me blowing air down the out line result in gas getting bubbled inside the tank? Im thinking my Junction Tube on the pump its self broke/came apart, even though its new?

19,535

or your fuel pressure regulator on the spider has blown out and is either bypassing all fuel to the tank or leaking it into your intake. The 97 has a closed unit fuel pump, it is possible the tube came off coming from the pump.

40

After droping the tank and pulling the pump again, I did find the junction tube on the pump had popped off due too a very weak and cheap hose clamp, I replaced the clamp with a stainless steel screw style hose clamp and reinstalled the pump, truck runs perfect now. So if your pump comes on and you hear gas trickling into the tank put have 0 fuel pressure this is your problem.

check your vin #. there is either a w or a z in the vin. this tells you how much fuel pressure PSI ..for example, if you dont tell the auto parts guy that it is a w or z, then you can get the wrong set up.. MOST DO NOT KNOW TO ASK THIS QUESTION>... i took my whole head off and clean out the spider injectors and everything after putting the new sending unit in, but come to find out that the same year make model takes 2 different PSI sending unit/fuel pumps and the one with 20 psi wont run a truck with a z in the vin