I have a miss in cylinder one on my 1996 Chevy S-10 2.2l. What could it be?

35

Asked by Aug 01, 2008 at 02:20 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet S-10 2 Dr STD Standard Cab SB

My service engine light came on bout 4 months ago and it has been missing ever since. Ive put a new fuel filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, knocked out the cone in the cadillac converter, and i just had a new head gasket put on and the head shaved and valves redid after blowing my head gasket bout two months ago. Could it be the coil?

25

if you had a distributer cap and rotor i would check that/replace it, or replace the coil if it has one. i dont remember if my 2000 2.2 had one or not, anyways, before you do that, check all your plugs after youve run them for a while to see if theyre wet or have oil on them. an issue could be you got water in your spark plug holes so its not firing, be careful not to run it long on 3 cylindars, ull fuck up ur engine.

14,905

You can take the S10 into an AutoZone, Checker, retail outlet to have the computer scanned for trouble codes. They will even do it for free. This may give you an indication of what could be going wrong. It sounds as if you're mixture isn't quite right. I would almost bet you have a sensor that's gone bad - O2 sensors are notoriously sensitive to various engine configuration changes and can cause this type of symptom.

365

what pugs and wires did you put on it?

365

also you blew out your cat you will have a code for the Ho2s bank 1 sensor 2 reading out of limits

680

pull the wire off the number one plug and check for spark while the car is running...if no spark then replace the coil if you have spark then it could be the injector clogged hope this helps...good luck

680

no cap or rotor in the 2.2 uses a coil pack i just changed the plugs and wires on my buddys s-10 and boy was that a fun job

45

check plugs and see if there is oil on them

45

sounds like a coil or a modual should hook it up to a scanner and see what the code is.

change plugs to a non platinum, I wrote tsb on that truck, they all had a miss with delco platinum plugs (at the dealer we changed them to autolite, and the miss went away)

35

Thanks guys im gonna get it checked out as soon as possible. My buddy hooked his computer to my system and it said misfire in cylinder one so ill just go get a complete check on everything

sounds like u might have a crack in the seramic (the white coating around the spark-plug) some times that will cause faulty spark! Mine did the same thing, but mine was the distrubter. But if its not the plug check ur crank or ur cam senor. if one orf them is out it will send a faulty reading to the DCI module. it should plug into the back of the DCI module which controls the coil packs!

365

mostlikely it is not that due to him just chaging somethings to his engine. i know on the 4.3s alot of time after having the crank sensor out you have to relearn it, but this is a 2.2.

25

Piston rings maybe?

i couldnt honestly tell you anything bout the 2.2 4 cylinder but my 2.8 6 cylinder in my 93 was a bad ass lil motor. im not sure what all was done to it because a friend told me if i got it out of his shop floor i could have it "(if it even ran)". i brought it home and ended up changin the coil, plugs,wires,and fuel injectors in the throttle body. come to find out the motor had been blown up before, rebuilt with a mild bore, cam size im not sure but it would lope pretty hard. anyway to try and assist with your issue.... i would say make sure tthe gap is correct but if it is,i'd replace the plugs for a single point plug. im not sure who said it but delco i dont particularly like. i have always ran a single point bosch platinum myself. have tried most other brands but bosch stands better under my foot. not sure if all that can help but i gave my best ideas.

Could be a few thngs,start of by checking the spark plug wires,make sure they are all attached,check under your distributar cap,check the spark plug,if that fails take it to a garage where they can plug it to a computer.

5

sounds like u have low compression in that cylinder

5

it could be but u need to have a compression check first just to see how much compression u have in all cylinders and compare them and see which one is lower

55

I had the same problem but with cylinder 4. It is most likely one of these 6 things: Plugs, Plug wires, Ignition Coil, Coil Pack, or Clogged Fuel Injector(s). Since you already changed the plugs and wires, the next step is the coil then the coil pack. if all else fails, go for the injectors.

255

check oil dipstick for milky sludge, head gaskets are bad on the 2,2l gm engine - change the plug wires and and all spark plugs( use ac delco recomended plugs -cloged egr or pcv valve will cause and miss - check your thrermostat that it it not in fail safe postion