A redneck worked on a Chevy S-10 and I need help repairing his mistakes

Asked by Jan 27, 2014 at 05:41 PM about the 1986 Chevrolet S-10 Tahoe Extended Cab SB

My brother has a 1986 Chevy S-10. The story is long so please bear with me. When my brother first got the car, we thought something may have been wrong with the oil pump. Before we could investigate further (the truck was at my brother-in-laws house), my brother-in-law lifted the engine. This lead to my brother finding someone to put the engine back in the truck and going from there. The guy and my brother-in-law had no idea what they were really doing and now the truck doesn't run very well at all. It ran great when my brother first got it. There is a knocking sound that I believe to be coming from the flex plate area. The car has very little power and pushes way to many rpms when trying to gain speed. The truck also has the tendency to die when sitting in idle. My first initial thought from the knocking sound was loose or broken pulleys from the engine as I did not get a good look at the truck until the other day. I'm thinking maybe they didn't tighten some bolts somewhere? The flexplate also looks just fine and I took a screwdriver and touched each bolt that I could see on the flexplate to see how loose they could have been. They seemed to all be tight but I haven't messed with flexplates before. What are your suggestions?

18,115

Engine needs to be pulled and checked for cracked flywheel or loose bolts. If nothing is found it could be a rod knocking and the engine needs replaced.

How much do you think it would cost to have a certified mechanic do just that?

18,115

$500 - $1000 Depending on the hourly rate.

18,115

Not including the engine if it needs one.

1,595

1) Why would you think something was wrong with the oil pump? 2) If this was true how long was it driven with oil pump issues? The damage may have already been done. If a main bearing has been worn too much the entire motor will be starved of oil pressure. It's all being lost at the first loose bearing.