problem with shifting

Asked by Jul 14, 2015 at 01:21 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan FWD

I have a 2002 Chevy Cavalier.  I just replaced clutch with new throw out bearing, and
clutch slave master cylinder.  Now I have problem with 1, 3rd, and 5 not going into gear
about every 3 or 4th time, sometimes works, sometimes don't.

20,400

Did you bleed the air from the system after installing the slave cylinder ? And what about the clutch master cylinder is it working?

I did bleed the clutch master cylinder. I am going to do again tonight. Looking at where the shifter cables mount on the transmission, there is some type of small pen that is hitting another portion of the mount. There are small debits like where the pen hit the metal. It seems like the little pin is like a safety feature to prevent shifting into a gear? I am not sure.

Oh, sorry. Shifting works half of the time just fine. I just got back home from a little trip out. On the way to the place it would not go to 5th gear on the freeway. Then after lunch, back on the freeway and it worked great. One thing I might try is spraying WD40 on it may be it is dirty and stuck somehow?

20,400

I see where you said you bleed the clutch master cylinder but did you bleed the slave cylinder ?

At least from what I understand, the bleeder valve is connected to the part that is in the transmission, part of the throw out bearing. There is only one place to bleed the system and it sits on the top of the transmission where the plastic tube comes out of it.

20,400

So there is not a bleeder screw on the slave cylinder you installed ?

Yes, it is on the part that comes out of the transmission that has the throw out bearing on the other end. It is next to where the hose plugs in from the clutch slave master cyclinder

This is where the shift cables attach to something on the transmission. I can't get a better picture of it without taking a few things off. Just center right of picture silver rectangle is the shift thing. That is where I described the debits. There is some type of pin on this piece that I believe is giving me the problem.

20,400

Google how to bleed slave cylinder on year, make and model of your vehicle

So, after getting responses back from you. I was looking at the part again I wondered if dirt had got onto the pin somehow. I just bought some lothian grease for another project so I decided to put some on the little pin making the debits. Since I have done that the car has shifted good, no problem with 1st,3rd or 5th gears. YAE!!! Thanks again and have a great day. I tried to find a diagram so I could show you what part was giving me the problem but I could not find one that looked like mine~sorry.

20,400

Thank for the feedback.