My 2002 Chevy Cavalier is having a problem with the ignition.

Asked by Sep 22, 2015 at 09:59 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Base

It starts up just fine, but in order to shift gears, I have to hold the key in the
ignition at a certain angle until the radio light comes on, then it is no problem.
Until it starts to rain, then I have to hold the key at a certain angle in order to
get the wipers to turn on, and have the time it still doesn't work.  was told that
it could be the ignition switch, but I can't find a way to test it. Any suggestions?

88,965

You are testing it, by the way you have to hold it to get accessoriesto work in the car. You need a new ignition switch..

Update: Car won't start at all now. Before I was able to replace the ignition switch, I was driving down the freeway and the car completely died in mid-driving. I pulled over to the side of the road and luckily a friend came by. He helped me try to jump it, but that did nothing and when I tried to turn the key, nothing happened at all. Next day we tow it home, I replaced the ignition switch and that made it so it dings when the keys are in the ignition, but it still doesn't crank and the dash lights don't come on. The headlights and interior light both work fine and all the fuses are good as well. What do I do now?