chavy Blazer starting problems

Asked by Feb 01, 2014 at 01:10 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Blazer 2 Door LS 4WD

Blazer starts fine first time but after shutting off,has hard time starting-takes up to 10 key turns or so(when I go to the store I have been resorting to leaving it running with the doors locked as the key comes right out of the ignition).Truck will start fine after sitting for over an 1-2 hrs also sometimes when I go to shut it off key won't turn all the way back like it should-leaving battery on...I have to restart it(oddly-it starts fine when this happens)put the car in gear then put back into park then turn key to off again to get it to turn off properly.Fuel pump was replaced about a year ago and after that truck has always smelled like antifreeze when running then this stuff happens-what is going on(I just replaced battery 2 months ago because son didn't know how to get truck to turn off and battery was dead in the morning)

....okay am going to suggest the ignition/starter relay is sticking~

Are you turning the key to the start position 10 times before the starter will engage? If so, your starter is on it's way out. If you are turning the ignition off and the truck is still running, I would replace the ignition switch. But then again, if your switch won't shut the truck off, it may also be not starting the truck until try #10. You can try putting a 12 volt test light on the hot wire of the starter. Have someone turn the key and see if the ignition is opening the circuit to send 12 volts to the starter. If not, you know you have a bad ignition switch.

Reelin68, be a pal and shop or find a source for this faulty electro- mechanical component....the key part of the switch sees the abuse, but the electrical contacts can to open or stick too~ a reliable ground connection-- battery to chassis ground if wirebrushed clean can sometimes FIX the electrical concerns~______ ition+switch&tbm=shop

relays will not behave themselves if presented an undervoltage condition (10 Volts) for could test the voltage at the relay box and rest assured that proper grounding has been established at that location~

It can take up to 10-sometimes it's less-truck does not keep running after turning off-key will not turn all the way back-kinda like when you just have it that way to listen to the radio without it running-if starter is going why does it start fine after sitting for a longer period? This has been going on for 2 months.Also-don't know if this could be related-once in a while while driving I'll feel it kinda like buck a little off and on-did it yesterday

Operator_13...Auto Parts Warehouse offers a replacement switch for $107 with a five star rating. But as you know, probably made in China.

John Carson

Does the starter engage? If not check the connections at the starter, and clean them while your down there. A show of WD-40 will help clean it and make connections. Your solenoid on the starter may be the problem also, it will not work when hot, but cold it will work. From what you told us the second time, I'd guess the switch is the problem. If you turn it all the way to start and no starter sounds, it may not be making connections. Try removing it, cleaning the connections with a sire brush, emery paper and ignition spray cleaner. The cheapest way before spending over $100 on a part that may not need replacing. All good suggestions above also.

Steve Boyko

Have blazer had similar problem. Turns out there is a added security feature on some. There was a small hole udder ignition that looked like. Screw spot. Need to use something small to push button to release key. Hope this helps!

looks like the guys will help in this problem, but still doent corect it and you dont have a lot of money, try a pick and pull , motor mont for a honda, dealer only, part, 135.00 pick n pull 10.00,chevy regultor, 145.00 10.00 i luvem