I have a 1996 c280 and lost my keys. Where can I find a key code so my locksmith can make me a key? Can someone use the lost keys to steal my car??

Asked by May 04, 2013 at 12:19 PM about the 1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C 280

I lost my only keys to my 1996 Mercedes C280. I went to the dealer and ordered a new
key but was told it would take several days. In the mean time, my windows are down
and I am afraid someone will try and steal my car. My local locksmith said he can
make me a key if I knew the key code. Does my car have a key code and where do I
find it?  Also, if someone were to try and use my lost keys to start my car, would those
still work or would the dealer have disabled hose keys somehow?? Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks!!

102,765

Remove the battery to slow down car thieves. The dealer can not disable the keys you lost.

Ditto. And I think tenspeed means REMOVE the battery. not just disconnect. The only thing I don't understand is 'several days' and your question: Yes, it has a key code. that is how the dealer can make one, and I suggest you have more that one made

In my Oakland neighborhood, the battery would be removed for you, while your back was turned and also during the night the "shopping cart guys" full of recycling would break a window to take a 3 dollar paintbrush you left on the backseat... definitely need a padlock and chain if you expect your battery to survive in Oakland.

...and don't leave Nothin' in your car....nothing at all, not even a cigarette butt!

anyone can take your car...a flat bed tow truck will make quick work of it.

That is so true...it can be winched up in less than two minutes, don't even have to tie it down, in Mexico before you know it's gone. Gives credibility to "Gone in 60 seconds"

35

1st job would ne to get the windows up to do that you will need a 12v to 16v rechareable battery and 2 pieces of wire Remove the trim pieces and locate the motor to the window. Take each piece of wire and attach them to each leed off the battery touch each wire to the open leeds on the motor if the window continues on a down ward path simply

35

Change the leeds this should change the direction of the motor.then just lock your vehicle normally and org for the best

a unique transponder signature that can be read from outer space and is sewn into the headliner is the only answer~

5,295

Do you have a regular key or the electronic fob called a blade? If you have the blade, then yes it will take several days for the dealer to get a new one. It has to be ordered from Germany, they will need your vin number to mate the Blade to your car. However the car also uses a regular key for the doors.Your lock smith should be able to use a blank and create a key for the door. You won't be able to start the car (only the fob can do that ) but with the key held in the lock position for 2 seconds the windows and sunroof will close.

I have the same problem! Did you ever find out where to find the key code?? If so could you please let me know? It's going to be a lot less expensive to have a new key cut at the locksmiths rather than Mercedes Benz direct.

Find a Locksmith that has a Lishi pick-decoder, for your year make and model auto, and he should be able to cut a key. Second, option is the dealership. To stop a thief, remove a distributors wire, and someone will hear an attempt to start your auto