I USE A QUART OF OIL A WEEK

25

Asked by Aug 21, 2012 at 09:24 AM about the 1990 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class E 2.6 Sedan

263,985

If you don't see any leaks, it's time to do a compression check of the cylinders. If they are lower than spec, you might need some engine work, wither valve seals or new rings. Do you have a lot of blue smoke out the exhaust? If you have puddles under the car and the engine is wet and dirty, it's time to replace some gaskets.

Best Answer Mark helpful
25

NO, THE COMPRESSION IS AT 3BAR & THE SMOKE IS LIGHT GRAY & what is the price for a valve job. Thanks

263,985

That can vary by mechanic, call around your area for some estimates. I'd find someone who works on MB's or german cars.

2,855

Tom is absolutely correct in his diagnosis. These cars were prone to oil passing by the valve seals, usually detected on starting up the car in the morning and blowing out a cloud of smoke which would disapate after a short while. Also at the rear of the rocker cover /head the gasket has 2 half moon pieces that also are prone to leaking down onto the top of the transmissin.Don't be fooled by dodgy mechanics who will tell you that the head will need to be removed the valve stem seals can be replaced using the correct tools.

25

Thanx so much Paul, I'm undecided what to do next. So in the meantime I'll keep my eye on the low oil light & top it off as needed. Regards Denis C.