2004 Chevy Classic (Malibu) Problems with stalling.

Asked by Oct 07, 2013 at 04:54 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Classic FWD

I have a 2004 Chevy Classic (Malibu). One day it ran great as usual, but when I came to my 1st stop (and left turn at the light) after being on the freeway, it stalled out.  No check engine light.  Just red oil and battery icons light up.  I tried to re-start it, no luck. I let it sit (in traffic!) for 2 minutes.  Cranked it up again,and it started. I was able to turn into the driveway, when it stalled again.  Tried 4 times to start it up, no luck again. Let it sit for 2 minutes (again) and it started.  Now, my b/f repleaced the fuel pump replaced about 1.5 years ago. He does all my tune-ups.  Also, it's a 4 cyl, and when i turn on the AC, it shutters for a little bit, but that's it. I had the AC on when this happened.  My b/f  (who's been working on cars for 30 years) says just don't run the AC.  He doesn't even want to look at it, but he fixes his OWN car!  After promising me along time ago that I'd never have to worry about my car ever again.   So now, I have to troubleshoot by myself.  

Does anyone have any idea as to what it may be?  I was told I can't find out what it is because there's no check engine light to check any codes.  Money is scarce and since I take my little girl to and from places, I want a safe car.

8,995

Since it seems to happen on turn/stop combinations, maybe a fuel gauge not reading correctly (shows more fuel than what's in the tank)? Usually caused by a bad sending unit in the tank.

10

Ever find out what happened to it? And the solution?? I'm having the same problem

This sounds fairly similar to my 2004 Classic, It would frequently stall at stop lights or wherever I came to a complete stop for a more than a few seconds. Took it to mechanic, they suggested a fuel injector cleaning. That fixed the problem immediately. After more than 20,000 miles the stalling re occurred, had the fuel injector cleaned and no more stalling. It appears to be a fuel injector or a throttle body issue, since the cleaning service involves the throttle body.

20

My mothers 2004 Malibu has the 3.5L in it,this was the first yr GM stuck these engines in this car.The car stalled at stops,and wouldn't pass the government ripoff e-test.Thank the Lord she has a retired mechanic son.At looking at the results,and what kind of car it is,with this motor,i had a good ideal what was wrong with it.I had done a few.On these motors the[ EGR] exhaust gas recruiting value [tube]or runner that goe's through the intake manifold to the throttle body becomes plugged solid with hardened carbon.If you clean this runner out and clean the mass air flow meter[with the right stuff]not only will the car run better,pass the e-test,but it just maybe stop your stalling problems.After i did this her car passed the emissions no problem.It cost me $9.00 for the intake manifold gaskets,and it don't stall no more.Mind you,stalling problems could be a whole lot of things.