2004 Chevy Classic

10

Asked by Oct 06, 2012 at 06:35 AM about the 2004 Chevrolet Classic 4 Dr STD Sedan

I have a 2004 Classic. Since I bought the car
in 2008 it has shook really hard when
stopped with the braked depressed like at a
red light. You can feel the vibration all over
the car. What would cause this? We have
checked the rotors and they are not warped
and my braked have been changed since.
Also here within the past week when I start
my car or press the gas a blue smoke comes
out of then tail pipe. What would cause this
to happen? I know it has an exhaust leak
and the gas fumes are strong at times but
not always. I need to gave that fixed I was
told by a guy does muffler repairs all cara
like mine he has seen or worked on has the
same exhaust issues. I'm beginning to think
it's time for a new car. But this one has
been paid off since 2009 and I paid 5718.00
for it. Any advice is welcomed. Thank you.

6,795

Okay, so, I suspect that your front vibrations are most likely coming from bad tie rods. Tie rods hold the wheel in place during driving and help push the wheel left or right when you are making a turn. They are VERY important for safe driving. Now, you should be able to hear clunking noises coming from the front-end every time you go over bumps or take turns at low speeds. Blue smoke can mean allot of things from head gasket failure to bad piston rings. There is not much that you can do until you pin-point where it is from. Most likely the internals of your engine and there's not much you can do about that. I would recommend that you run a thicker oil like 10W-40 and see if that has any improvement.

1,220

Check c/v axles and spark plugs/wires

10

Thank you. I haven't heard any loud noises when turning or going over bumps so I was thinking maybe motor mounts was the issue. I will take it and have it looked at.

1,220

the passenger front axle on my durango slowly went bad and shuddered when stopping or letting off the gas but did not make noise when turning.

10

OK. I will be having it looked at soon as I have two kiddos that are in my car all the time. I may just look at getting a new car if it is the tie rods, Cv joints or anything major. Any suggestions? I don't want another car that has a sealed transmission or echotech motor in it.

6,795

I would recommend a Ford Panther platform car (Crown vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car) -- These cars have a reputation for being gas guzzlers but they really aren't. I have owned many of them and they average between 21 mpg and 29. You can get upwards of 30 mpg on the highway if you take it slow. They are very safe due to the large steel frame, lots of interior space, lots of trunk space, VERY reliable (Why do you think Taxi companies and Government agencies used them), and extremely inexpensive to maintain. They make a great family car.

10

Thank you Joe. I will look into them and look around at some others.