crunching noise in front suspension

25

Asked by Sep 01, 2007 at 10:27 PM about the 1992 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr Deluxe 4WD Extended Cab SB

when you turn the wheel hard it makes a squking/crunching noise but i don't see anything rubing it is in the front suspension and some times it's there, some times not.

155

most likly your ball joints are on there way out. possibly could be in your shocks. sounds like you have spring play springs are probably shifting in there tower. next time you hit a bump or rr crossing see if the steering wheel shakes back and forth if it does this is your problem

55

its the noise made by the steering stops rubbing on each other. Mine made that noise too, and I put a little grease on them, but the noise came back after a week. its normal

2,210

crunching noises are not normal...and grease is only a part time solution...replace the shocks,and get an alignment...

995

you should try checking for a power steering leak or get your rack checked

85

Its the steering stops. You need to either grease them or go to the dealer and buy some of the nylon tips that were originally there. (they wear out or fall off) I greased mine and the noise came back like a week later when the grease dried up. Then the noise mysteriously went away and never came back. Thats also when I went from a 32" to a 31" tire though so that probably made some kind of difference in geometry, etc.

I have also had the same problem but if you get someone to turn the steering full lock first to the left then to the right while you are under the car's front you will see that on the side the noise comes from the stoppers touch while on the side they do not there is a gap between the stoppers even at full lock. This must mean that the steering is out of alignment. I am going to have mine checked and see what my Toyota dealer says/does and then advise.

10

I had the same problem, it was the steering stops. I worked at a toyota dealer, and just had them order a bag of 10 stop caps, since they do wear out and fall off rather quickly. I am going to try a softer rubber cap and see if that lasts a little longer.