1991 toyota pickup, 22RE strugging for fuel/no power. Timing Chain?

195

Asked by Aug 13, 2012 at 07:43 PM about the 1991 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr Deluxe 4WD Standard Cab SB

My 1991 Toyota pickup, had the head gasket blow out an replaced it last year, about 5 months later the truck would cut off on me and not start again, acted like it had ran out of gas. over the last 6 months or so, ive mostly let the truck sit, but sometimes i could get in it an it would start an i could go anywhere i wanted for about a week or two. then it would quit again. everybody kept telling me it was the fuel pump, an i beleived it becuz sometimes when i was driving an it cut off an wouldnt start, i could get out an kick the fuel tank an it would start right back up everytime. oh an the whole time i was able to drive it, it would seem to be struggling for fuel an would take forever to get up to speed an died to a crawl going up hills. i replaced the fuel pump last weekend an we found a kink in the gas line. we were pretty sure we had the problem figured out. but after driving for a couple of miles like its supposed to it ended up going back to having no power an struggling for gas. people now are tellin me it might be alittle out of timing. any info would be appreciated as to what might be wrong, im not really financially stable to put money into things that dont need to be fixed. any info helps thanks.

175

havent had that problem yet on my truck just starting problem when the truck is warmed up and its above 90 digrees out it wont start right back up have to let it sit about 5 minutes then it starts had a datsun one time that did that and i replaced the coil and found a wire that was not connected and that fixed the problem wen i took to shop they gave me a list of about 40 things wronmg with the datsun and all it was was the coil and a wire that noone knew were it went it would up being a ground wire so first thing i wou;ld do is check all the wires makesure all are hooked up thats the cheapest i can think of

195

Thanks man, it ended up being out of timing just alil bit,,, turned the distributor about a quarter inch an the old yota running like a champ again!!

50

VACUUM LEAK