Winterized storage....now, won't start

5

Asked by Apr 03, 2014 at 10:03 AM about the 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2 Dr STD Convertible

My 2000 MR2 was stored in a garage all winter. Now it just cranks and cranks but will
not start. It's as if it has no gas but the indicator says 3/4 full.

Any ideas?

88,855

There is a good chance that the fuel pump has locked up from just sitting, or the fuel has gone totally bad. Can you hear the pump run for just a few seconds when you just turn on the key?

5

The tank was 3/4 full during the winter. I've added a gallon of new gas, 2 engine treatments and 2 fuel treatments and wire dryer. Still the same? I checked the little fuses under the hood and engine and inside. Thanks for the info. How might I remove the gas? Also, I've never heard a gas pump sound...ever.

88,855

You might try this: while someone cranks the engine over use a small hammer or rubber mallet and bang the fuel tank, sometimes that will jar the fuel pump enough to start it working, if it does start don't shut it off as it might not work again. I don't know if the MR2 has an access plate over the fuel tank, if it does you can gain access to the pump under that cover.