01 Camry troubleshoot help

Asked by Aug 24, 2016 at 11:11 AM about the 2001 Toyota Camry CE

Just got a 01 Camry.  Owner stated new water pump and hoses were just done.  First time I drive it on the freeway over 65 the temp gauge goes into the 3/4th area.  I notice towards the end of the freeway drive and the temp goes back to normal as soon as I hit the off ramp and start slowing.

The next few days I keep it under 65 and have no overheat issues.  Replaced the radiator cap and went into the 70 range this morning and didn't see any overheat issues, there was freeway traffic so I didn't get a chance to check it longer.

When I started the car this morning the idle was over 1k rpm at first, it went down and never had an issue the rest of my drive except the check engine light came on and I could hear some shaking/ticking in the engine that I didn't notice before.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

247,305

Sounds like the owner was dealing with an overheating issue and wanted to dump the car. Since the CEL is on, you can scan for the codes to tell you want the issues are. The ticking might be due to the oil getting too hot when it is overheating. Might want to inspect the thermostat.

Thanks for the post Tom. If I wasn't experiencing overheating issues today could the oil still be getting hot enough to cause the ticking/shaking? It didn't seem severe but I didn't notice it previously.

1,850

At what Engine RPM do you hear the ticking/shaking? If we suspect a continued cooling system issue....try this. The next time you think you are about to OH...turn on the heater full blast and watch the Temp Gauge. Get back to us with result. Of course I agree with Tom above. we need to know what codes are stored in the Computer when the CEL came ON. Oh...BTW...see if the Spoiler/air flow shroud is still under the front of this vehicle.

I have the exact same problem with exact same car. Turning on the heater at max strength will keep the temperature in the middle as it should without ever overheating. Any ideas what's going on??

1,850

Any warning lights on or flashing when the engine is running? Did you notice if the cooling fans are running when she gets hot? You might have a restricted radiator. A cooling System Test with a Pressure Gauge would be required.

No warning lights, everything working fine. New radiator, new thermostat, flushed whole system, overheats after a while in freeway going 80mph (overheats after about 10 miles) and turning on heater max will keep it at regular temp.

1,850

Suggestion. Do a visual inspection of the Front of car intake air through the AC Condenser. Is the Condenser full of bugs? Check UNDER the front bumper area. Any of those plastic pieces broken or missing? When you say she overheats at 80.....is that via Temp Gauge? Do you have smoke coming out from under hood. Is it possible the Temp Gauge is faulty.