I have a 1995 toyota camry. it will start but if you try and give it any gas it starts to sputter and go dead. it will start right back up but you still can not try and press the gas or it will die.

Asked by Oct 26, 2015 at 07:50 PM about the 1995 Toyota Camry LE

My 1995 toyota camry will start but if you try and give it any gas it sputters and
trys to go dead. If I try and start it back up it will start right back up and idle but
again if you press the gass it sputters and trys to go dead but if you let of
thegas it goes back to an idle. Don't know what to check any further please
help.

45,915

Not sure how good you are with tune ups and routine maintenance, but I would suspect this would be a good time to learn. If it were my Camry, I would replace plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, PVC, fuel filter. I would also purchase some throttle body cleaner and Mass Air Flow cleaner or MAF cleaner. After replacing all the above components, I would remove the throttle body and tear it down and clean it with the spray. Same goes for your Mass Air Flow sensor. Check youtube for instructional videos. There's plenty of them. I would also remove the Idle Air Control valve and clean that with the throttle body spray as well. Again, check youtube. Just a little advance notice, your fuel filter is hidden under your air filter box. You have to remove the box in order to access the fuel filter. Post back with results.....

I have replaced all of these parts with none of them seeming to help the problem. I have not done anything with the mass air flow sensor. I will try and look up how to clean it or check it and see if that might help.

45,915

Another part that can really mess things up is the EGR. Check for vacuum leaks also. One more thing to check is the large black rubber intake hose that goes to your throttle body. I have had those crack and when that happens, too much air is let into the throttle body and the car will die out when you try to accelerate. A quick test is just start the car and let it idle. Pop the hood and just start squeezing the intake hose with your hands. If the engine sputters, dies, or changes idle, your hose has a hole in it some place.

I have replaced that intake hose with a new one but I haven't checked the EGR valve. Can it be cleaned or checked somehow?

45,915

Yes, you can remove it and clean it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_weetqqx1c

I will try these couple of things you suggested and will reply back with results. Thanks.

45,915

If no difference, I would start looking into something like fuel delivery. Try a pressure gauge and see what you are getting. Not sure if you've replaced your fuel pump. Do you have the check engine light on?

I have not replaced the fuel pump. And no check engine light on. I think I've be told that to check the fuel pressure I would need a special part or tool to do so on this model.

45,915

Here's a good link that gives you a tutorial on how to hook up and use the pressure gauge.................................................................... http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/toyota/2.2L/fuel-pump-tests-2

10

I had the same problem on my 94 camry.After checking everything you did I accidently touched an electrical wire towards the back drivers side of the engine. A wire end was loose in one of the plastic clips that snap in the harness. I pushed it back in the clip and the engine hasn't missed a beat.. Hope your fix is this easy.

I have now checked out the EGR valve and it was completely clogged up. I took it off and cleaned it out. I then checked to make sure it was working properly and it was. I put it back in and started the car and it still has the same problem. I also checked all the vacuum hoses and they were all good. My car don't have a MAF sensor that I can find. 2.2 liter 4 cylinder is what my car has in it. Have not been able to check the fuel pressure yet because I don't have the pressure test kit.

45,915

You may have to let the car run for awhile. The computer should have to adjust itself back to the original settings. You are correct in that your car does not have the MAF sensor. Is your CEL on by chance?

Best Answer Mark helpful

No my check engine light is not on. I did let it run for quite a while mabey 20 minutes or so. If I pull the vacuum hose off of my fuel regulator it seems to run better but still has the same problem. You can't give the car any gas or it will sputter and try and die. Still don't know what else to check except for the fuel pressure. I will have to get the fitting to check that. Anything else that you can think of checking?

45,915

Pull a couple of plugs and see if they appear to be black. That will indicate a rich fuel mixture. If plugs are black, I would check your ECT fuse. If fuse is good, you can try a new ECT sensor. There is also a sensor in you air intake box. Have you tried misting your coil with water to see if it skips? The only other sensor I can think of that would give you a bad air/fuel mixture would be the MAP sensor. But usually that should trigger the CEL. Same if you had a bad TPS.

Ok I will try that next. I did put new plugs and cables on it earlier. I also put a new ECT sensor in it also. I have not tried the coil trick but I will give it a shot.

45,915

Yeah, you've pretty much covered all the bases. Just check the ECT fuse. If blown, that will stop your sensor from functioning. Could be a bad coil or the fuel pressure. That's about the last two things that come to mind.

Thanks for all your help. I will let you know what I find out .

10

Sound like bad alternator discharging under load also ck coil in dist see if coil is cracked on the back water gets in them when crack And will run sometimes alt schools be 12.5 volts a tide and 13.5 1000 rams

That would make sense but if you keep pumping the gas it will finally catch up and Rev up, but if you let off of the gas it WilI start doing the same thing again. If it were a bad altinator wouldn't it do it all the time and not let the motor catch up?

10

Timing belt. My '93 Camry started acting up on acceleration. It idled fine but give it gas and it sputtered and shook but rpm would not increase unless the gas pedal was pressed very slightly and increased the gas very slowly until rpm's catch up with the gas pedal position. Timing belt fixed it just fine.

10

I am kinda having the same problem but I know for sure there is a crack in the air intake hose. The car wasn't having any problems until I noticed this crack. I put duck tape on the hose to get it home but it was sputtering and having trouble going up hill. Did yours do this?

45,915

Helpmeh- Yes, my car was sputtering and eventually would just die as soon as you gave it any gas. It was due to a severely cracked intake hose. If you used duct tape, it may not have sealed it completely. I used electrical tape. You may have another crack on the very bottom of the hose that you are not seeing from up top. I would remove the hose and give it a good inspection. It would also be a good time to get some throttle body cleaner and thoroughly clean out your intake as well.