why do the front rotors warp so frequently?

25

Asked by Nov 25, 2006 at 08:26 PM about the 1994 Toyota Camry LE V6

Hello It's hard to say without knowing more details about how the car is driven, as rotor problems are usually very driver-dependent. Rotor warpage is typically due to overheating. You may want to keep an eye on your temperature gauge and make sure that your engine is not running too hot. CarGrrl

465

Good point CarGrrl, also, Rotors and pads (when new) must be broken in, if you drive aggressively, heating the pads too much when they are getting to know the rotors will result in warping. Warping from the get go, constitutes severe warping as the pads and rotors get old. Also, straying from Toyota pads and rotors to those of aftermarket companies will more than likely result in an inferior experience.

On Rotor Warping "Excessive heat, rapid cooling and numerous heat cycles are what causes warping" "The biggest problem isn't rapid brake heating, it's rapid cooling. Such as high peak temperatures caused by a hard stop, followed by a long cooling off period. This is why adding cooling ducts to a vehicle with such an undersized brake system can make it an even more efficient rotor-warping device." Dino Cresentinin & Steve Ruiz of Autospecialty (brakes) from Imran

35

heat makes the rotors warp , your front brakes could be doing most of the work , maybe the rear brakes are out of adjustment or the master cyl is weak or bad not pushing enough pressure to the back brakes . are you replacing the rotors or having them cut each time you do the brakes . the rear brakes must do their job or the front brakes will be overworked

5,585

The most common reason is that the driver is riding the brakes, or braking too hard. Make sure that you are not resting your foot on the brake pedal when driving. Also, don't wash your car and spray the wheels down after a drive with hard braking. The quick temperature change will warp them.

3,815

Keep your foot off gas and bk at same time I do it sometime Drag my foot

3,815

Camry have big sub frame under front. They all go through pads Be side that I love my camry..heavy ft end

66,455

Hammering on the lug nuts with an impact gun will over-torque the lugs and this can warp the rotors.

10

I have a 2011 Camry SE. I drive about 1000 miles a week, almost all highway. I'm currently over 175000 miles and my third set of brakes. The last two sets have warped rotors causing that pulsing as I brake. It is irritating! Should I use slotted rotors instead. Would that help? Slotted rotors are mainly for racing. However since they are designed to dissipate heat quickly, I'd think they would be great to use on cars that typically have warped rotor issues. Thought?