Car starter turns but no ignition. This only happens sometimes, others it starts right up!

Asked by Jun 17, 2013 at 04:41 PM about the 1994 Toyota Camry LE

The car started normally. I drove over an hour, shut it down and when I tried to start again, it turned but no start. 3 hours later it turned right over.  A second time It started normal, only ran it a few min. shut it down. It then would turn but no start. Any suggs?????

6,515

Yeah, could be a distributor cap/rotor.

there is a "ballast resistor" on your system...I'd check it for intermittent~

Of course the battery is newer than five years old, connections from the battery to the chassis ground are clean...metal to 1/0 battery lug and connection to the motor too is free of corrosion...else do this...maintain the big amp draw electricals....make sure the battery aint a grampa by now~

37,565

If it's turning over and you have spark, but not starting, then it sounds like a fuel issue. The next time it doesn't start, pull a plug wire and check for spark. If you have spark, remove fuel line and have someone crank it over. Be careful because fuel will squirt every place if your fuel pump is working. Put fuel line into a plastic bottle. If your fuel pump is failing, it may be intermittent. If that sounds too risky, then jack up car and touch a screw driver to bottom of your gas tank. Put your ear on the handle of the screw driver and have someone turn the key. If the fuel pump is working, you should here it humming.