1992 toyota camry very infrequently won't start. I can drive it around for months then I'll be driving around stop it and it won't start. 5-20 min later starts right up.?????

20

Asked by Apr 04, 2011 at 10:17 PM about the 1992 Toyota Camry LE

Runs fine rest of time, have had some mechanics look at it but it doesn't act up then.  Any hints or thoughts on what it could be, have been told it might be a fuel issue, but that has been looked at.

95

you could check your coil plug, the one that supplies power to the coil from the main harness, may have an internal loose connection where the female end slides over the male end of the connector, does it crank over? also a bad sending unit for your coolant temperature would cause your pcm to shut ignition down due to an inaccurate reading thinking the engine is overheating

40

check the coil or it can be the module itself.

20

it cranks over just fine..very strong, and then eventually i'll try it and it catches.

635

i got a similar problem on a 93 camry. i'll crank the engine fine when i first start out, shut the car off 5 minutes later, and try to restart it, and it doesn't start. I jump the starter, and it cranks over. probably to great of a resistance on the ground wire off the engine, but i haven't bothered with it yet. a test to see if it is the problem: when the problem presents itself, take a jumper (booster) cable, hook one side to any bare metal on the engine, hook the other end to the negative on the battery, and turn the switch. if it turns over, change your negative cable from the engine

10

I had problem for a long time off and on I would go to the shop & if I was just a few mins it wouldn't start but wait 10 or so then it would start and would be fine for ages then play up. I was told it was the starter motor and then the inhibitor switch but when I took the car in to look at the inhibitor switch the auto-electrician said it was fine but that my battery needed changing so I changed battery and is all good now...