1992 toyota camry very infrequently won't start. I can drive it around for months then I'll be driving around stop it and it won't start. 5-20 min later starts right up.?????

20

Asked by Apr 04, 2011 at 10:17 PM about the 1992 Toyota Camry LE

Runs fine rest of time, have had some mechanics look at it but it doesn't act up then.  Any hints or thoughts on what it could be, have been told it might be a fuel issue, but that has been looked at.

25

ive had the same problem with my 95 camry. i was told it is a neutual switch. I have not bought one yet cause they cost 189 plus the labor. i have put in 3 starters cause it acts like a starter problem. but that was not the case. try having them look at that

20

thank you, i'll call my mechanic today and see what he thinks, and let you know.

10

Same problem for me I was told the inhibitor switch but when I had taken car in to be looked at the auto-electrician told me I needed a new battery so I put a strong one in and all is good.

40

I have a "88 Camry Wagon, when I first looked at it, it started just fine, when I came back the next day nothing happened when I hit the key. The owner, an elderly woman, lifted the hood,and told me to turn the key foreword as soon as I turned the key to the on position it started. I jumped out of the car to find her with a wire about 2 feet long, I asked her what she did. She pointed out there was a wire connected to the starter that had a bare spot, (it was the wire that the key controls) she showed me she just jumped the starter by touching the positive post on the battery, and the bare spot on the wire at the starter. The fix; at any auto parts store you buy lights for the roll bar on a pick up truck. You will have to buy a regulator to hook them up. The regulator is available at the store too. The regulator will have two output terminals, For the two lights on the roll bar. You will use just one out put, that out put goes to the starter . In the spot where you disconnected the wire from the key (on my 88 and a 90 the wire is the top lead on the starter.) the lead off the starter goes to the the input terminal.on the regulator. A hot lead from the battery goes on the "power in." on the regulator. The last is the ground wire off the regulator to the body of the car. That's it. You now have a direct hook up to the starter, A cure to the low voltage problem the car produces at random intervals, where the car will not start unless you jump it. I attached the regulator to the battery tray a foot from the starter.