97 forerunner doesn't start when hot

10

Asked by Oct 27, 2010 at 03:29 AM about the 1997 Toyota 4Runner 4 Dr SR5 4WD SUV

My 97 forerunner 3.4 v6 180,000 4 wheel drive starts cold but doesn't start after driven about 30 mins. engine will turn over but won't start. after about 10 yo 15 minutes it will start to pop a little then it will start. Getting tired if this.
The repair shop diognosed it but couldn't find anything, he suggested that I change the crank sensor, but that didn't work. need help asap. Alfred

80

I have the same problem with my 97 4runner. My mechanic changed crank sensor , timing belt, waterpump, 3 to 4 other sensors Don't know the name. But another mechanic is checking it now. Hopefully I get an answer, because it still has the same problem. Every mechanic suggest for me to put it on the diagnostic from Toyota. We'll see. If I get an answer, I'll post it. Michele

10

Thanks Michele pls. keep me updated abj

45

it sounds like fuel vapourisation, check no pipes are running near anything hot like turbo,exhaust or power steering pipes,failing that a faulty pump may be to blame

80

I finally found a mechanic that was not going to give up till he found my problem. It was the wire going to my fuel pump. It was corroded. He changed the wire and the fuel pump. My 4 runner is running perfect now.

10

Same problem. My 4runner has 167,000. Took to dealer, they said bad air flow sensor ($700). B... S... Had another shop check air flow sensor and it tested fine. I had a gal tell me she had same problem with jeep. Replaced gas line from wheel well (rubber part) to engine, problem fixed! Was told over years rubber inside gas line hose deteriorates and swells shut not allowing proper gas flow to engine? Haven't replaced, it's winter so not having problem now but it will soon be summer and I'll have to open hood & hope engine is still in 4runner when I return. That's what I was told BUT I'm gonna check this fuel pump wire thin out. It doesn't make sense because wire to fuel pump doesn't get hot.

I would clean your( MAF) Mass Air Flow Sensor. Alot of times it will fix these issues of rugged idle, dying while at lights, and not starting. Good news all you need is some Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner from local Auto Store. Take it off spray it clean and then let it dry for a half hour and then put it back on. Worked for me once. Easy fix

Can you guys tell me where I can get a crank shaft sensor from, I need one for my Hilux Surf. I have a loaner from a 4 Runner so I know it works.

5

Hi guys my 1999 4runner just stop while I was driving ,and I pull over than I switch off the system I tray to start it again doesn't want to start just turning shaft and doesn't want to start I real don't know what's going on, please I need help.