engine light after oil change? runs ok

5

Asked by Jun 13, 2009 at 12:16 PM about the 1992 Subaru Loyale 4 Dr STD 4WD Sedan

Recently took my Loyale that has 185k miles on it for oil change at WalMart(WM) and after I left a couple minutes up the road the check engine light goes on and stays on.  After I stop the car it goes out and then about 2 min driving it again goes on and stays on.  WM claims they did nothing wrong and everything  looks connected and car seems to run fine.  They did check the air filter and bunch of stuff [even though I told them not to].

In the past at about 140k the engine light went on and I changed the Oxygen sensor which was not the problem as the smog place changed the EGR valve to get the engine light off [only problem I every had]. MY Chilton manual does not seem cover hte engine light.  When I called AutoZone they said they cannot check my 1992 model.  I have a Code reader that I think only covers newer cars.

Maybe I am missing something in the Chilton book.  I'd like to be able to get codes if possible on this car, diagnose somehoe or just reset the light to see if it comes back on.  Car runs good burns little oil and gets 30mpg even in hills where I live and I want to keep running it.  I am thinking the O2 sensor with only about 45k on it should be fine and the EGR is fairly new also.  I have neveer had elec problems with car and last smog at 171k had good readings.

Any tips or advice here?  thanks in advance.

Marku

10

Just so you know 30 MPG sucks, my loyale gets 38-41, so if all your electrical sensors are in good working order, then I'd say you need new rings. And that mpg is on worn out plugs,

20

Most eateemed Sizzlean & Marku: I think the Sizz is jiving: EPA estimated MPG is maybe 22 MPG highway.... Sorry Marku, sources think you don't know how to calculate MPG. OK Sizz-one, how'd you get over 30 MPG on this post-Gulf-War AWD vehicle? Yours truly, Yeti

20

OK Sizz-one, how'd you get over 30 MPG on this post-Gulf-War AWD vehicle? Yours truly, Yeti

125

hello. I don't know about the engine light but, my 88 gl with a S.P.F.I 1.8L used to get 19 to 21 mpg. then had a string of bad luck with the car at about 140k. I replaced the timing belts, oil pump, clutch, water pump, 4 of the 8 hydraulic lifters cleaned out all the of the hoses, and gave it a tune up. And now I'm getting 25cty and 29hwy. I could still do more to it, but I can't see this thing getting any better then 35mpg. corey

10

Just so you know, 30 is great with 4wd you, im guessing have a fwd loyale??

10

my 91 loyale gets 17-18 mpgs but thats with a pro comp ignition a lift 27" tires cut fenders custom bumpers and a roof rack it got 25 city stock

My 1992 Loyal 4x4 wagon with the 5speed manual gets 30 mpg If I'm driving around 55 and don't have to climb a lot of long hills. :)