Check Engine light is on?

Asked by Aug 13, 2013 at 01:19 AM about the Subaru Loyale

When I start it up in the morning it sputters for about 1 min. After that it idles between 1500 and 2500 all day long. I checked for vacuum leaks using Wd40 and starter fluid. Couldn't find anything. There was no difference. Adjusted the distributor and throttle position sensor. Did not help. I tried adjusting idle. Did not help. Check engine light will stay on and when I accelerate it flashes. I have put new timing belts, Co2 sensor, changed vacuum hoses, catalytic converter. Please advise me as to what I can do.

6,355

A little more info on the car could be helpfull such as year or possibly what engines in it, without knowing that I can only tell you so much but this strikes me as a possibility. Have you checked your EGR valve? It could be plugged and causing the issue.

67,505

Have the computer scanned and post the trouble code(s) here so we can help. Advance and Autozone auto parts stores will do it for free. HTH. -Jim

Sorry about that. It is a 1994 Subaru Loyale 1.8.

6,355

alright, so it's on the OBD 1 system, as Jim stated have the trouble codes read if you have a check engine light lit. your engines model code is then an EJ18 and as such the EGR valve is something to inspect, a badly plugged or siezed one could have something to do with it. does it sputter and cough throughout the RPM band or just durring the inital warm up?

It sputters and coughs a little when driving. The motor is running 2500 rpm at an idle. While it idles it goes from 1500 to 2500 rpm. When driving it sputters. We disconnected the air flow sensor on the throttle body and rpms dropped down to 700. Shut the car off and had a hard time starting. We had a strong gas smell when trying to turn it over. Fuel pump is fairly new. Tried adjusting the throttle position sensor to lower the rpms. Didn't help.

67,505

Did this problem start when you changed the fuel pump? Or shortly thereafter? If so, check the vacuum lines for the EVAP system. The EVAP system pulls gasoline fumes into the engine to be burned instead of being released into the air. When replacing the fuel pump they were disturbed. Considering the car is nearly 20 years old there is a real possibility that one of those lines cracked or broke during the fuel pump replacement. Another clue here is when a computer controlled engine idles high, as you described, avvacuum leak is usually the culprit. HTH. -Jim

I am trying to get the code from the computer in the car under the dash. When I looked for the wires I found the memory plug connected as well as the green plug connected. Is this normal? Also could this have damaged the computer in some way? I went ahead and disconnected the memory plugs and reconnected the green plugs. I got nothing. I am looking for the light on the computer to read the codes. I can't see anything flashing. Is it possible to have a burnt out bulb? If so can it be replaced? I have also disconnected the battery to clear out the codes. .