Low oil pressure reading in 1991 1.8L Subaru Loyale

Asked by May 18, 2014 at 03:54 PM about the 1991 Subaru Loyale 4 Dr STD 4WD Wagon

I am having problems with the oil pressure in my 1991 Subaru Loyale.  When I start the
car up the pressure usually goes up immediately to about 20 or 30 psi and will stay
there for a couple of minutes.  If I am driving in stop and go traffic it will drop to 0 or just
above 0 when I am stopped, and climb to about 20 psi when I get going again, although
sometimes it doesn't and it just stays at 0.  When I get going relatively fast, above 40
mph or so it will go up to about 30 or 40 psi and stay there, but drop again when I slow
down.  Not sure what the problem is and any ideas will help.

20

what condition is the oil in? how long has it been since it was changed and what viscosity did you use?

I just got it changed less than a month ago and they used a thicker oil due to the cars age (I forget the actual thickness, but they recommended it for older high mileage cars.)

Check the bolts above the cams. The large ones that hold the oiling tubes. If one is loose it will cause this problem.