the battery loses its charge to where the car comes to a complete stop. garage cannot figure it out.

Saffron40
0

Asked by Sep 12, 2008 at 12:31 PM about the 2001 Subaru Legacy GT

Re: 2001 Subaru Legacy GT sedan. When battery loses its charge the battery and brake light comes on the display.  As
I'm driving Tach and speedometer will swing from zero to the driving speed back and forth.  Car will eventually
shudder and come to a complete stop.

Garage tells me there is nothing wrong with the car and the battery just needs to be charged.  They say the alternator
is fine too.  Help!!!

Benjamin Thomas
15

If it was me i would get the battery replaced anyway, you can pick them up for 20 pound. If this doesn't work then there may be short circuit on the charging system or elsewhere.

Adam Morgan
6,945

If it's starting without problem it's generally not the battery. When it dies while running it's generally the alternator. I believe your car has an internal VR so I can't point fingers there. The gauges going dead makes me think somethings going out/looseing connection... Check... Battery cables Ground strap Connections to the alternator... Make sure they are all clean and have a smoth mating surface for better contact... My guess is that something is loose... And to have all thoose problems it would have to be a ground or a voltage source from my experience. Only other thing I can figure is something is wrong with your ignition switch, so if you have the means get that checked out. Granted electrical is not my forte, but just humor me. Post back and let us know if you find anything

Michael McGrail
8,635

I agree with Adam, it does sound like you have a loose connection somewhere. Check all your battery connections Adam mentioned and also the one on the back of the starter. Also inspect the cables for signs of internal damage as well.

James VonProtzeller
135

I think Adam is putting you on the right track cleaning any corrosion and looking for damaged wiring.

Marc Joseph Antiporda
35

replace the battery

Fordtudor37
6,155

I concur with the above repliers - check for a loose connection, loose ground wire or even a bad wire inside the connector itself. Secor Subaru in New London CT followed a problem back to corrosion inside the crimped connector which cause a 1 year old car not to run correctly.

hleuthold
0

your altenator is going out which is causing to drain the battery. my vehicle was doing the same thing last year and that's what it was if I was you id get that fixed asap because I didn't and my car ended up dying in the middle of a busy street during rush hour let me tell ya you don't want that to happen!!