I turned my 97 Subaru legacy 2.5gt off. When I tried to restart it everything was dead!!! It was like the battery wasn't hooked up. I took the keys out and walked in the house. I looked outside and the tail light were on and the front amber lights were on. I tried to start it and nothing. I cleaned the battery posts but it didn't help. I unhooked the positive cable and put the key in the ignition and turned it on in order to hook the positive cable up. It started just fine, however the running lights are still on and the dash lights are blinking! I turned the engine off and the running lights were still on and the dash lights were still blinking. I had to unhook the positive cable to stop this process. Can anybody out there point me in the right direction???

Asked by Dec 07, 2014 at 06:40 PM about the 1997 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr GT AWD Sedan

Under the dash there is a reset button, its a little black button on the left kinda behind the lever to open the hood. With the key in the ignition in the off position push and hold the button for five or ten sec then turn the car to the on position while holding the button down, after 3 to 5 sec the door locks should all lock at once. this should fix that. What happens is there is a sensor that goes off when the battery is disconnected and reconnected in the incorrect sequence, and causes your running lights to flash...