Why won't it start?

10

Asked by Dec 03, 2014 at 01:47 AM about the 2000 Subaru Legacy L Wagon

So I just purchased a 2001 forester
2.5 engine to put in my 2000 legacy
wagon. When we got the engine it was
still in the car we started it and it ran
great we took it out got it to my
buddy's andput it in but now it won't
start it cranks. Hooked up the
computer and it says its out of time
but it's not so me and my buddy are
stumped any help would be great

8,170

Sensors indicate this is illogical. Sensors that are in range tell the truth. Sensors that are not for that computer may be in need of replacement with your sensors for your computer. Inspect for differences to start with. Explain how the computer "told you" what it told you, please So you can get a feel for the level of diagnostic capability you posess. The independent subaru garage may be a good friend to you right At this point.

8,170

They can be very helpful and understand more of what goes on with those cars and engines after the warranty period expires. Trades or swaps in their experience can be discussed without actually representing the manufacturer the way the dealer must.

8,170

If you cannot bring them the vehicle, yet, be ready with the calibration codes of the two computers. and all vin data. That may be your best hope for a discussion that leads to a quick answer, or a stop sign.

Best Answer
10

It was the crank sensor so I think I will swap it for the one off my old engine

8,170

Same , same. Then yeah. I would note differences as I went and photo them for visuals if it has to be discussed. Normally, a crank sensor 's info is engine position used in spark and cam sensors are valve opening for injector pulse. Some cars they can affect both or affect one another. I have not seen subaru ones fail. Just ECT out of range a little put my roomates in FMEM. Which can lead to injector and plug concerns. He had red injectors and eventually one failed. He had the smaller engine 2.2L i think. The other one I have extensive work on is a 2.5. It had belt tensioner issues leading to a engine boss bracket replacement. Also, start up noise from skirtless pistons. If yours knocks on start-up you might want to feed it a trickle of ATF in the pcv tube. The carbon can get loose and need burned off if it sits.

8,170

The best head gaskets are subaru ones but not the "correct" ones. The bolt tightening procedure is not the same as the books say. If yours were just done, then they probably arent leaking coolant just yet, but they may, so burp it good and get it full. when your waterpump goes, the subaru part is the better vs. china. OEM thermostat is way better than the ones they sell at parts stores also. Just telling you what I would if I had to help and you were just trusting the complete eng. the way you received it.

8,170

It took me over a week to fix one, because I was so sick but was helping anyway. aaarrrrgh. Hope you get your info first and plan well unlike me.