won't start when warm

Asked by Dec 03, 2008 at 04:13 PM about the 1996 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr L AWD Wagon

my car runs great and when cold, starts right up but at times, after it has been running and shut off, it will not restart.  Doesn't happen all the time and after about 20 or 30 minutes it will restart.  It has been checked an rechecked by 2 dealers and a couple of "guys"... they can't find anything.

20

could be vapor loc. does it crank but not start or no crank at all? you need three things to start fuel, spark and compession. check spark and fuel cause you probably have compression. also try the clear flood method and crank to motor with the throttle all the way to the floor and see if that helps.

90

My 2005 Forester has similar problem. No crank when failed to start warm. OK after a while. I heard it was a "shift linkage" problem that somehow "the computer returns a message as the car is in gear hence it doesn't start when the key is turned in the ignition". Any suggestion to reaolve the issue?

1,915

to go along with what the previous guy said about the linkage, it know for sure if it is, when it won't start, put it in nuetral (i'm assuming it's and automatic) and try starting it. if it starts in nuetral then there is a problem with either the adjustment or the 'nuetral saftey start switch'.

50

well it sounds like to me if most any older model subaru that runs good until it gets warm or to normal temp. you drive it for a few min. then it stops running then you let it set and cool for about a hour it starts and runs great again ... this should be your problem FUEL TEMP SWITCH sensor'. it is located on top of the intake its about middle ways on the passanger side middle you got to look hard for it and feel to find it. it is just a small brass little spark plug looking unit with a wire conector on top remove it replace it should fix your proublem. it right on top of you intake down close beside the port . it not easy to find.

80

We have the same problem with 99 forester. Ours is not an automatic but a manual transmission. Sometimes it takes as long as 2 hours before it will start. We can push it and pop the clutch, but if there aren't any people to help push I am stranded till AAA comes out or I wait out the 2 hours. I don't have a lot of money to spend on repairs, nor make new car payments. Any ideas about what could be wrong?

I have the same issue with a 1999 Outback. If I get a jump it starts up fine though.

10

Okay, I have a similar problem. It'll start up if it's cold or hot, but if it's just warm, it'll only crank.