While driving my car suddenly jerks starts running rough, then stalls when coming to a stop.

40

Asked by Oct 20, 2014 at 07:46 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT Sedan FWD

2006 Chevy Cobalt LT 2.2- 85000
miles. Idles rough at 500 rpm most of
the time. Seems like its going to die
but never does until the above
problem occurs.
It's been doing this intermittently for
about 2 weeks. It does it cold and hot.
No check engine light on. As a matter
of fact, the cel doesn't even illuminate
when starting the car as the rest do.
Hmm.   I changed the oil, spark plugs,
cleaned the throttle body, wiped off
the MAF, cleaned around the MAP,
reseated most of the fuses, cleaned
the throttle body again...
I would love to avoid a trip to the
garage if anyone has any ideas I
would appreciate it greatly.  Thank
you

40

Almost forgot... it restarts fine but when I put it in drive it stalls. Runs fine in p,n,and r.

23,130

If the CEL light is not visible ever then someone might have tampered with it. Take the car to Autozone. They can scan it for free. It may have a code and that would point you in the right direction. Your problem could be a plugged fuel filter, plugged catalytic converter, fuel pressure regulator or even a weak fuel pump.

90

Have someone scan the. Car with a diagnostic tool just because the light is not on does not mean the vehicle does not have any CODES in it the light may be burned. Out

40

Thank you TransAm77. I'll do that in the am. Is there a fuse linked to it? Thanks again.

40

I agree. As awful as it's running one would think it would be on. Thank you.

23,130

No problem. Im not sure on that but I did go looking because I was curious and found this tid bit. Check this fuse it's under the hood, ecm/trans fuse, it's a 15A fuse. It might be your problem??? I would still get it scanned. Oh and make sure you get the recalls done on it.

40

I'll try that too. Thank you. Ahh yes, the recalls... right now I'm like 280th in line at 3 different dealerships to get the ignition recall done. They keep telling me (and everyone else) they don't have the parts. Fun stuff.

23,130

I hope you find the problem and it's an easy fix. I just had an HHR and 2010 Cobalt in for the recalls. Just keep calling until they get tired of hearing from you then they will get you in. Good luck with that, LOL.

40

Thank you. Yes, I will up my calls from weekly to every other day. Lol. As for the issues... Checked the fuses, they're all ok. Took it to AutoZone the guy said the cel light bulb is gone, then gave me 3 nasty codes: P0973, P0842, & P0700. All transmission related..Yikes. Praying for bad grounds or loose wiring.

23,130

LOL on the calls. Yup that's what I thought about the bulb. Somebody took it out to not show the light lit.(Hopefully that makes sense, LOL.) I'll say a prayer for your wires and keep my fingers crossed. Good luck.

40

Yup. Pretty sneeky. Never think about checking it if the darn thing isn't on. Live and learn I guess. Thank you so much for all your help.

23,130

Everytime you start ANY vehicle the CEL will come on, then turn off if there are no problems. Your welcome, glad I could help.

Hello guys i have the same problem but with my 1997 mitsubishi eclipse gs spyder 2.4 engine my cars rpms would be low when i start it then it turns off but it only happens in the morning the before the rpm usto go to 1500 and the fall to 100 but now it starts at 1000 and goes 500 and it soulds like it wants to turn off or give out