Key will not operate the ignition

10

Asked by Mar 28, 2012 at 07:36 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT Coupe

This morning my ignition key will not even turn the ignition.  It worked just fine yesterday. Any ideas? Thought it
might be battery but I have dome lights, head lights, trunk light, bell sounds when door is open and key is in
ignition, mileage shows on the dashboard, tried applying brakes, car is in park.  Any suggestions?  I am still
looking for my spare key.

12,945

If your key will not turn ignition either the key is wore out, you have the wrong key or the lock cylinder is broken. Try wiggling the key after you put it in might be able to jog the lock cylinder enough to get it working. Another thing it might be is the steering wheel lock might have tension and not allowing the lock cylinder to turn. Try to rotate steering wheel back and forth when turning the key. This might free up the lock.

Best Answer
10

wiggling the key and trying to turn the steering wheel freed it up. Saved me from 180 to 600 dollars at the dealership. I thank you much.

230

I have a 2008 Cobalt coupe. My ignition seized with the car running. I immediately took it to the nearest dealer and was told the ignition cylinders on some of the Cobalts were recalled due to seizing.

10

Push the shifter up to Park and turn Key at the same time with foot on brake.