Key gets stuck in the ignition

Asked by Sep 02, 2013 at 09:50 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS

I have a 2006 chevy cobalt ss 2.4l.  I am  having intermittent  key getting stuck in the accessory position in the ignition.  If I drive it an then park it again or jiggle the shifter it will eventually turn to the off position.

105,765

I would go ahead and replace the lock cylinder. They are not that expensive and most are not to hard to replace. Would do it before key gets hung in there forever.

315

you should change the ignition switch for sure.

I have a 2007 with the same problem and let me tell you is not the ignition switch. So where to start the problem is your shifter. So what happens is when you press the knob on the shifter a rod In the assembly shifts to the side and it gets stuck and its un able to send the signal to disengage the key. Ok the problem is the shifter but mean while if it gets stuck again there is a key release switch under the steering wheel with a screw driver remove a small cover like a quarter size then with your finger press that white switch and it will release the key. I paid $60 for a shifter at a auto junk yard. It's not hard to replace the shifter. Good luck any question feel free to send me a message

120

Dason27...how do I know if its the shifter or the ignition? I have a 2007 cobalt. Problems with getting key to turn to off from accessory and still problems getting key out. How do you know which to replace?

360

The problem lies in your shifter assembly. There is a metal bar that hits an actuator that tells your car that it is in park. The metal bar slips out of place and needs to be adjusted. I just fixed this problem on my 07 HHR. You don't have to spend a dime. It takes about an hour and a half onto fix.

360

Lauradv1 this is the most common problem area for the information you gave. Try this, I guarantee it will work.

360

Danson21 you are spot on right. Get a shifter assembly from a junk yard or even eBay has them, replace it and bam it's fixed. A new assembly from a GM dealership runs around 200 bucks. Very easy to install, just takes a little patience

50

There is actually a recall on the gear shift assembly from GM for Cobalt models 2005 to 2010. I paid to have mine replaced only to get a letter from GM regarding this same issue. Call the Chevrolet recall number at 1-800-222-1020 and they may reimburse you for any out of pocket expenses.

40

My daughter has a 2006 cobalt with key sticking in the ACC position. Called GM and as of Dec 11th they are replacing the shifter for no charge if this is the cause.

40

for model 2007 there is still the recall, expires in 2022, in the gear shift assembly from GM for Cobalt models 2005 to 2010. Call the Chevrolet recall number at 1-800-222-1020 and they may reimburse you for any out of pocket expenses if you already paid, but if you don't call them, very nice and service customer service, will arrange the towing company and the dealer appointment so they can fix your car.