Subaru transmission

Asked by Jun 30, 2017 at 10:25 PM about the 1993 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr LS Sedan

I have a 1993 subaru legacy fwd non turbo its an
automatic. The other day my tranny coolant line
busted due to being old and rotted and i lost all my
fluid while parked. I didnt try to drive it i just left it.
The next day i went and fixed the hose and filled
the transmission. I started it and let it idle for about
5 minutes then put it in drive and the car does not
want to move without giving it more gas then
usual. Im not sure if we did something wrong or
what the problem is.. Am i missing something? Is
there some type of trick?? Because my tranny
never slipped. It always shifted on time and
smooth.

83,265

I would change the filters and check for debris.

Someone told me it is a waste of time to change the filter in the pan because its really not a filter its just a mesh. And if i had no problems with tranny before the hose dumped the fluid it wouldnt be the filter. Also would i check inside the pan for debris?

83,265

If you drop the pan look for debris. The screen is up to you but I would check it.

Alright man.. Thanks

20,945

IDK feel like we are missing something like (I will paint a picture) you left out the part about it started slipping first then you checked and saw the bad leak, then left it till the next day to fix and know it slips all the time cause of the high mileage the clutches were barely hanging on and with new fluid lost all its friction molecules. Try some lubegard, to put back in the friction molecules it needs. If that does not work then rebuild time.

945

Are you sure the transmission is full of fluid? even a quart low will make a transmission slip.

5,940

The key here might be whether you tried to start the car AFTER the leak dumped only HALF the AT capacity. Once under running pressure it'll pump itself nearly dry. When you plug the leak and then refill the tranny it'll only half fill until that added amount is circulated up into the tranny body. THEN add more fluid until marked full and check again. You may have to do this twice. Generally you need to be about 2 qts/L low before slippage, but then again your tranny may be toast anyway, as dried seals will also prevent adequate pressure-build for normal operation. This chariot's probably too old to spend any money on it except cheap stuff like another gallon of ATF!

So i took out the plug to the transmission and no fluid came out. But if i look at the dip stick it is full to the top but its not getting to the transmission. Any suggestions

5,940

Are you sure you're not checking the DIFFERENTIAL OIL dipstick?! The AT's is on the DRIVER's lower side. Regardless, start the car and then add a qt at a time, checking level carefully while idling. You may add more than expected, although the FWD's capacity is less than the 8.8qts of the AWD. Good luck.