how do i tell whats wrong with my car 06 grand prix

Corrine Wentworth

Asked by Mar 08, 2015 at 03:11 PM about the 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Base

it truned over then started to click click would not start i also had it hooked up to another

Giulio Moro

Your starter and solenoid need to be replaced. Should run you about $50-85 at the most and typical for GM's small block Chevy v6 and v8 motors. Many will come with lifetime warranty. Make sure you shim the new/rebuilt/reman starter properly when you install it or you will quickly destroy the ring gearnit meshes with to start the engine. And disconnect the battery before you start changing it.

Corrine Wentworth

i just replaced the alternator and it still says battery system failure

Giulio Moro

Charge the battery for a few hours while disconnected from the car. Then have it tested with a battery load tester. If it passes then reconnect it to the car and let it sit for about 5 minutes before starting the car. If all goes well you are fine. If not then check the items I've mentioned. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's defect free.

Corrine Wentworth

are they easy to do i have not done any work like this

Giulio Moro

If you can use a socket set and wrench you are good to go. A pair of wheel ramps will raise the car if you need to get underneath and work on the back half of the engine if the starter is there, or if you can't get to it from the front of the car hood area. The rest of the work really isn't hard to do or difficult.

Corrine Wentworth

thank you

Do some more trouble shooting first. It sounds like there's not enough power getting to the starter which is causing the solenoid to chatter. Make sure the battery is strong and fully charged as has been suggested. Then make sure all connections to the battery and to the grounds are clean and tight. Rule all that out before you start replacing stuff. Starter solenoids seldom fail and they usually aren't fun to get at to work on.

Giulio Moro

I conquer to a point. The more you start and stop the car the faster the starter solenoid contacts become worn, as well as the physical link between the starter and the solenoid as well as the starter gear that actually engages the flex plate to turn the motor. They used to be made to last the lifetime of a vehicle, but that stopped during the late 70's so companies could make more money. Since then they are designed to last about 5 years in normal usage, and about 3 years with constant starting and stopping. Its the single most problematic piece of the starting system that's also the cheapest to replace.