I have a 2006 pontiac grand prix 3.8 v6 and the low beam light just shut down and no running lights?

400

Asked by Aug 21, 2013 at 08:39 AM about the 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Base

I have tried replacing the bulbs and replaced the relay switch for the low beams i don't know where eles to look to find the problem?

315

Have you check your fuse?

400

yes i even replaced the relay fuse for the low beam/running lights

400

so if i replace the headlight switch then that should solve the issue with no low beam lights/running lights

400

when the low beam /running light went out they both went, is this normally what happens both go the same time

oooo my bad this is a grand prix....barking up the wrong tree~

will have to pull up a schematic for the 2006 grand prix now---this might take a spell~

bunco cannot find one for the 2006, but it's more complicated because there is a "module" involved here~

both filaments are within the same bulb? that's what the schematic shows~

comes out of an "underhood electrical center"....not real clear on this box with wires stickin' out~ really want to help....the switches on the Grand Am's were usually defective because of their design preferences, but the Grand Prix must be different...already you speak of a fuse therein...could not find this on the fuse panel I was looking at~

you could test your current headlight switch...then replace it once it proves defective~

315

Does your car have daytime running lights on it?

56,775

Check for fusible links at the starter. One may have burned out. Older GMs had one for the headlights. Maybe yours does. HTH. -Jim

quite simple...the battery is old and the 1/0 cable to ground is providing varying available amperages and fluctuating voltages....wirebrush this connection of the cable...wirebrush the chassis to insure at least 300 cold cranking amps capability...In doing this your system will have RENEWED ground and anything marginal will go over or start working right~

20

I had the same problem with mine, and it turned out to be something with the steering wheel tilt. Very odd.

well any electrical components on the tilt-wheel like volume, cruise control...horn all need to see ground...hopefully they botherd to put a ground pigtail to chassis and did not simply rely on "wingnut" clamp~

20

Anyone have a schematic for a non DRL Vehicle? I have a customer with the same intermittent low beam problem.

They ALL have daytime running lights...I think~

It's the second click~

the honkin' light switch has too much responsibility here~ Grounds have to be excellent or this thing does not perform~

80

I got the same car pontiac grand prix 2006 model.... I have some issues with this cars nowadays.... its regular light which is automatic, goes off after 3 or 4 minutes while driving on the road.. the bottom light works and high beem works too... another problem which she has started to give me is that its temperature goes high almost to red line... two weeks ago I flushed its radiator as well as put new coolant fluid into it even though its temperature started to go up again... is there anything you know about it???

20

Mh, I am going through the same problems with both the low beams and the over heating. Last year I changed the thermostat, then about 3 months after that had to replaced water pump, and some belt pulleys. Now 6 months later I started having an overheat problem again. Changing the thermostat again tomorrow, and am going to check out all fuses for the headlights. One thing that helped with the overheating is I followed the procedures in the manual for adding coolant and it didn't help. Then I just ran the car with the pressure cap off of the radiator, and let it run, and found that there was a lot of air in the system. What I thought was full originally, was actually a gallon or so short. Make sure you run you heater when you are filling with the engine running so it is cycling through the heater core.

920

The relay is located under the hood in the fuse box labeled #35 DCM Module. I got mine from; rockauto.com ACDELCO Part # 15016745 Main Relay GM Original Equipment One of our most popular parts LOW BEAM

so the same thing is happening with my 2007 Grand Prix GXP. We have replaced the relay 3 times now and they only last about 2 months each. Not sure if this is really the problem or if something else is causing the relay to go out.

25

hey everyone i have a 2006 grandprix i had issues with it last summer , it started with my lowbeams going out while driving... i had highbeams and my fogs but no lows , unfortunately this didnt end well, I ended up pulling over because my car was tellin me door ajar to find a very bad smell... when i popped the hood the wiring had caught fire and melted my fuse box. I have contacted GM they had someone come look at who told me wasnt worth fixing. of course i had no fire damage on it at the time and ended up getting fixed by a local mechanic , over the last week i am noticing my lights are now staying on permanently and i have to disconnect my battery now its guessing game as to whether this is a sensor problem, a problem with the light switch on the column or fuse panel. . . any ideas?

10

same problem with my pontiac grand prix 2006. low beam not coming on. everything else did. Changed light bulb, still not working. Checked all fuses, all works. Crossed my finger and prayed for Divine intervention, then changed the headlight relay...voila it worked! Thank you God! I was afraid i have to take it in for something worse like switch replacement, wheww...

20

I took mine in to the dealership again, they played with the prongs that are in the slot for the relay and I have not had to replace it again. A couple days later, I got a recall notice from Pontiac about the relay issue. They do not have a permanent fix yet, but all work done for this issue is now covered and you can apply to get reimbursed thru the dealership if you are on the recall list.

15

Martha, even though there is no permanent fix yet, should the dealership replace the relay at no charge if I take it in? I took my '07 Grand Prix in last week but they didn't change it because the recall notice says "no remedy yet available." But the recall notice also says, "Dealers are to replace the headlamp relay (HDM) that resides in the under hood bussed electrical center (UBEC) free of charge." Any idea whether they should have replaced it for me?

My dealer has been replacing the relay at no charge. The suggested temp fix according to the letter is to replace the relay, which they should do. I had also purchased one from AutoZone that had a lifetime warranty (around $20?). I keep that one as a back up and replace that one with a new one from AZ every time it goes out. That way, I am never stuck someplace without low headlights. If you don't have the recall letter, you can look it up on GMs website. I wold take it in with you next time.

15

Thanks! I thought they were confused but I wasn't positive.

Anyone who has a problem with the low beams not working at all,and was told they needed a new fuse box,try this.Check the low beam relay under the hood,see how tight it fits.If it's loose try twisting the prongs slightly until it fits tight.It will save a lot of money!!!

The dealership did tighten the prongs and it did help, but it is not permanent. The issue still occurs, just not as often - at least for me.

Check the low beam relay under the hood where the fuses are.

10

I just fixed this problem on an 06 grand prix. Slot #35 in the fuse panel under the hood. It says its the HDM module. $35 at Advance Auto parts.